• yes..please post your reason

2 3.17%
  • no...please post your reason

7 11.11%
Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: sex offenders lists

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I think we all agree that rapists & paedophiles are evil

More and more lists are being made public of sex offenders. In many countries Mobs have attacked people on these lists, sometime the wrong person just because of a similar name.

The question is:

should communities be given full details of sex offenders in their community, so they can be aware or is it a bad idea that will only lead to vigilante actions.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    I voted yes so we can be aware of potential danger. I don't agree with vigilante actions although i admit if anyone molested my children i would gladly burn the perverts genitals off with a blowlamp if I was allowed to. I will state though that this is a wish and i wouldn't do it in reality because my kids need me at home not in jail.

Fact is that I feel the risk of vigilante actions is far outweighed by the crime comitted by these scum.

Of course there needs to be a tough standard of what constitutes a "sex offender", so that it doesn't include someone that is charged with exposure for streaking at a football game for example.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    I think they should be made available to the public. We have a right to know who is living in our communities.

I don't entirely agree that vigilante groups against sex offenders are wrong. The law is much too lenient with respect to these monsters (IMHO). Some asshole molests his daughter and gets five or ten years... and his daughter a lifetime of horrendous memories? I don't agree that there is ever a repentance for that. I'd shed no tears to hear that a child molester were beaten to death by an angry mob. If it were my child involved, he'd be dead before he ever got a trial.

Of course there needs to be a tough standard of what constitutes a "sex offender", so that it doesn't include someone that is charged with exposure for streaking at a football game for example.
    I completely agree with that statement.
    Last edited by NikkiD; 11-26-2004 at 06:54 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    I didn't vote, because the whole system regarding sex offenders needs changed.

Prison obviously doesn't change them no matter how long they're inside, but publishing their whereabouts when they get out isn't the answer either. That'd only encourage them to move on and disappear so that the police wouldn't even be able to carry out what little monitoring they do on these people.

It'd also have ordinary people stooping to the level of paedophile "witch-hunts" every time one moved into their area.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    @ rick

that would be... "no...please post your reason"

You do of course raise a valid point with them going "underground".... perhaps a case where implanted micro tracking devices overtake human rights?
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-26-2004 at 07:17 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    baccyman's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    they should be castrated before they are released from prison then they would not be a danger to kids.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    You do of course raise a valid point with them going "underground".... perhaps a case where implanted micro tracking devices overtake human rights?
    One has to be human first. Sorry, touchy subject for me.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Strangelove's Avatar I Need Sex
    I voted "Yes" however not under the present rules of what puts people on the Sex Offenders lists. (So thats Yes, Post Reason)

I dont class a 17 yr old that has sex with his 15 year old girlfriend the day before her birthday as a "Sex Offender", so i'd want the stupid definitions changed first. (Age of consent is 16 here, before i get hit at by the Americans)

Child Molesters and Rapists, fine... but there would have to be real control over things like "Statutory Rape" and "Flashing" etc...
    Last edited by Strangelove; 11-26-2004 at 07:24 PM.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    One has to be human first. Sorry, touchy subject for me.
    oh i agree totally but we have to accept reality and such devices would be questioned on human rights issues...i believe that the reason would outweight this particular human right.

@ baccy

Well that would be a totally different subject... however IF they were castrated would you say yes or no to publishing their names etc. ?

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    @ rick

that would be... "no...please post your reason"

So it would, good point

You've got a point with the trackers as well. I'm of the opinion that you can't apply the same set of rights to all sets of people.

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast