Thread: Info about Norton Ghost 9

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I have been testing Ghost 9 for the fun of it, and have found a few particularly interesting items:

If you back-up an operating system drive, and your Mobo has the BIOS option of "plug and play OS" set to "YES", when you restore the drive, it will change the BIOS date and time to something other than the REAL date and time (this may be MOBO specific, but Im not sure. I have a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe) If you have more info on this, please let me know.

If you back-up an operating system drive that is capable of doing a "system restore" (ie: windows XP..etc..) you will find that if you try to do a system restore, you will meet a "unspecified runtime error at line 611".
    I have found that if you first "create" a restore point PRIOR to trying to restore, all will be well.
    If you find that you already went to far, and cant either "create" or "restore" without getting the runtime error, you need to re-ghost the image, and not make the same mistake again.

I was just bored, and i like to use my PC as a lab rat. I like to find new ways to screw it up and fix it.
    On a side note.........System mechanic 5 is looking like a nice program, it has lots of features (none of which will fix the ghost runtime error....I tried)

\these are my findings, I could be completely wrong\
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 12-01-2004 at 07:37 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ive dumped Ghost 9.0 and gone back to Ghost 2003 as I found it to be problematic and shit. Stay away from this crap...
    Last edited by RealitY; 12-01-2004 at 07:40 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hey reality, have you tried a "OS" back-up with 2003? Im curious of what it will do.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Ya many times much more trouble free of once again bloated Norton crap like in 9.0, try it...
    Last edited by RealitY; 12-01-2004 at 07:52 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ill give it a run through.... But I will agree with you Ghost 9 does kinda suck, at least the OS back-up part (I never tested it on a data drive.....NOT MINE....AND I WONT!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    You talk about System Mech. in a few post's , it's one of my fav , must have programs .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    My sig OWNZ ghost.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    [QUOTE=zapjb]My sig OWNZ ghost[QUOTE=zapjb]

Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    There is no 100% software solution to safeguarding one's OS setup. Only redundancy in separate media i.e. another HDD, in my case. I clone (Acronis MigrateEasy) my HDD every 2-5wks. That one stays in my dresser drawer.
    Hopefully not filled with cotton sweater and wool socks

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    No. lol. In an ESD safe packet enclosure.