Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: (S)VCD or DVD?

  1. #1
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    crazy skiing monkey
    Posts
    1,350
    ive got a movie that a friend of mine really wants to play in her DVD player........

    now i can either burn it as VCD, SVCD or DVD......

    my question is, whats best to use?

    the movie is a 705 MB .avi

    video: resolution is 592x320, 23 fps, data rate 110 kbps, video sample size 12 bit, XVID compression

    audio: 131 kbps, audio format: Lame MP3, duration 1:48:44

    i havent made any of these formats before (n00b alert!!!!)........ i am downloading Tmpgenc plus v 2.57.41.146 (2002) right now..........

    if its easy, id like to make a DVD (though i dont know if i can with DVD+r ), so ill prolly end up with (S)VCD, but then my question still is: whats best to go with? cause the resolution doesnt fit either standard

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DVD is better all round

    TmpGenc settings
    source Aspect ratio - 1:1 (VGA)
    Video Arrange Method - Full screen (keep aspect ratio)


  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    ive got a movie that a friend of mine really wants to play in her DVD player........

    now i can either burn it as VCD, SVCD or DVD......

    my question is, whats best to use?

    the movie is a 705 MB .avi

    video: resolution is 592x320, 23 fps, data rate 110 kbps, video sample size 12 bit, XVID compression

    audio: 131 kbps, audio format: Lame MP3, duration 1:48:44

    i havent made any of these formats before (n00b alert!!!!)........ i am downloading Tmpgenc plus v 2.57.41.146 (2002) right now..........

    if its easy, id like to make a DVD (though i dont know if i can with DVD+r ), so ill prolly end up with (S)VCD, but then my question still is: whats best to go with? cause the resolution doesnt fit either standard
    Do you have a DVD writter? If so go with DVD. If not then
    (S)VCD ..

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    crazy skiing monkey
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBarker
    DVD is better all round

    TmpGenc settings
    source Aspect ratio - 1:1 (VGA)
    Video Arrange Method - Full screen (keep aspect ratio)

    okay, and Nero tells me it needs vob files and such, how do i get those out of the avi? or will TmpGenc do that?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel_001
    Do you have a DVD writter? If so go with DVD. If not then
    (S)VCD ..
    yeah, i only have DVD+R lying around, will DVD players read those?
    Last edited by Storm; 12-01-2004 at 03:10 PM.

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    you need to download TMPGenc DVD Author

    when TMPGenc plus has finished its work, fire-up TMPGenc DVD Author, this creates your VOB files and Nero will be happy

    Oh and yes DVD players will probably be OK with DVD+R, although I prefer to use DVD-R

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lightshow's Avatar Asleep at the wheel
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    924
    The thing about DVD-R vs. DVD+R is older dvd players only like DVD-R. Newer ones will read either one just fine.
    I miss the days of random nut '03
    Click for more activation options, then activate by telephone. Run the keygen.
    if I call them, aren't they going to get me? (you know, down there)

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    crazy skiing monkey
    Posts
    1,350
    well i reencoded the avi to mpg (damn dvd author cant take avi for dvds, but now the sound is gone

    i have to burn this in a couple of minuits........ how do i fix this? or should i just go with (S)VCD?

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    VIP...just ask any
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    in a box, in an alley
    Posts
    100
    This was quoted to me.....

    if the file has ac3 audio in it, you will want to use tmpeg express 3

    to make avi to dvd ya need conversion tools, tmpeg 2.5, tmpeg express 3
    when ac3 audio is involved, virtual dub to extract wav files with, tmpeg to blend and make mpeg, then to nero for burn.

    you can easily ectract pertinent files (audio) with proggies like dvd shrink

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Omaha, Ne USA
    Posts
    1,078
    well, after scrolling through all the comments, no
    one seemed to notice that the original file size is
    a mere 705Mb!

    DVD quality video is impossible to create from the
    source material.

    it's inane to waste the effort and/or money burning
    any sort of a DVD.

    a VCD or SVCD will be the best you can get in the end.

    /my .02

    .

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    with the price of DVDR's so cheap I wouldnt have considered price a problem

    Most standard DVDRip avi's are of very high quality, and are well worth transcoding to DVD format, Its obvious you are not going to get actual DVD quality, but its not that far off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •