Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentagon debate rages over 'information operations' in Iraq

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Oh my! We've been "mislead", lied to, by our government. I am in shock and awe. Why were we lied to? It seems like this question has been asked numerous times during the Bush administration's reign of terror.

Perhaps bush thought it would help in the election if people believed he wasn't stalling going into Fallujah because he was afraid of the body count. Incidentally, there were more deaths then the Pentagon originally reported. Of course, we know that bush doesn't care about the civilian count.

Gotta love this one... "A senior Pentagon official told CNN that Gilbert's remarks were "technically true but misleading." It was an attempt to get CNN "to report something not true," the official said."

Get a media outlet to report something not true? Hell, that is a daily occurence. Even the title of this article is ridiculous..the Pentagon Debate Rages? What is with all this rage? Is it that they got caught out, and, gee, what will people think? What people should be thinking and aware of is the fact that this administration has continuously lied to us, has tried to silence whistleblowers, has spitefully leaked a CIA operative name, has tried to bully the rest of the world, has done a hatchet job on our civil rights, gets orders from god, even brings religion into the political arena, has turned this so-called democracy into a tyranny, and the major media outlets have been absolutely irresponsible in their lack of reporting and investigating, as well as the spin they give it all.

Keep watching the show. This isn't reality TV..it's real life. How is it so many people don't understand why there is so much animosity towards the US? It's pretty obvious to me.

Pentagon debate rages over 'information operations' in Iraq
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Amid a debate over the use of misinformation by the U.S. military, the Pentagon says it is investigating an October incident in which a Marine spokesman gave CNN misleading information about an attack on the Iraqi city of Falluja.

In an October 14 interview from Iraq, 1st Lt. Lyle Gilbert announced that a major U.S. military operation was under way in Falluja -- three weeks before the offensive that eventually recaptured the city began.

A senior Pentagon official told CNN that Gilbert's remarks were "technically true but misleading." It was an attempt to get CNN "to report something not true," the official said.

CNN management has asked the Pentagon for an official response to a report in the Los Angeles Times that identified Gilbert's comments as a possible case of deliberate misinformation of news outlets. The newspaper reported that the interview was part of a broader effort to manipulate the media to achieve U.S. goals in Iraq.

Pentagon spokesman Lawrence DiRita said U.S. personnel are never allowed to deceive reporters, and he said he is reviewing the circumstances surrounding the Gilbert interview.

"We are looking into reports where people may have gotten more creative than they should have," he said.

Gen. Richard Myers, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has warned commanders not to mix up "information operations" with the dissemination of news to reporters. But some in the military are concerned about blurring clear distinctions among three goals: psychological operations against enemy forces; offering timely and accurate information to reporters; and influencing international audiences.

The interview with Gilbert was unusual. He appeared on air only because military officials contacted CNN and said they had someone ready on the scene to discuss major unfolding developments that night.

"The troops crossed the line of departure. We had artillery fire, prep fire going out," Gilbert said in the October 14 interview. "Aircraft have been moving through the area all day, helicopters providing transport. It's been a pretty uncomfortable time."

The objective, Los Angeles Times reporter Mark Mazzetti said Wednesday, was "to see what the enemy was up to."

"The Pentagon people I spoke to said that the intended audience was the insurgent population around Falluja [who] might think that the U.S. military was coming to get them, and the U.S. military wanted to observe what they did when they thought the U.S. was coming," Mazzetti told CNN's "Newsnight With Aaron Brown."

Military officials said later that the operation was not an attempt to retake the city, just an effort to lay the groundwork for the eventual offensive that began in November.

"As the story developed, we quickly made it clear to our viewers exactly what was going on in and around Falluja," CNN spokesman Matthew Furman said.

The Gilbert interview sheds light on a debate behind the scenes at the Pentagon about the use of information as a weapon in the war in Iraq -- and whether a single battlefield commander should be in charge of both psychological operations and media operations at the same time. Some senior officers who served in the Vietnam War and its aftermath, when the credibility of the military was damaged, have raised concerns about the issue.

"Over time, people just didn't believe what the military was saying, and they fear that if we go down this path, the same thing is going to happen again," Mazzetti said.

A proposal circulated within the Pentagon calls for a new post for a "director of central information" to be established as part of a deeper effort to "counter ideological support to terrorism."

A Pentagon advisory panel warned recently that the military must make an effort to communicate better with the Muslim world. But critics worry that effort is becoming a Madison Avenue-style campaign full of leaflets, broadcasts and government-sponsored "influence" that crosses the line.

CNN Pentagon Correspondents Barbara Starr and Jamie McIntyre contributed to this report.
    source
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I actually like that tactic of leaking information of the offensive wayyyy ahead of time or

STFU about it altogether.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    I don't. It was to puposely bullshit the American people.

anywhichway

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    no it was to see how the insurgents would react. Seems smart to me.

not everything is a conspiracy
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    It shouldn't have been done...period.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningfreemanny
    please expand on that
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-02-2004 at 08:46 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Originally Posted by spinningfreemanny

Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    please expand on that
    Expand on what? Didn't you read the article?

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaZu
    Expand on what? Didn't you read the article?
    Yes i read the article, i want to know why he thinks it's smart idea. It seems more of an explaination thought up after than the real reason, IMO.( not the first "post event" reason in this war )

"to see what the enemy would do"

Were they hoping they would leave? well what would that solve? it takes them out of a contained area and spreads them out.

Perhaps they were hoping to draw more into the area to give the "shooting fish in a barrel" option. But why would they think that would work? no army can defeat the usa in a conventional fight so they have to use "hit and run" tactics, so why would an "army" that has been successfully using those tactics get drawn into a suicide mission that would not help their fight?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    It is an age-old and accepted tactic of warfare.

Ruthie, your naivete is simply stunning.

Please don't ever stop posting here.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    It is an age-old and accepted tactic of warfare.

Ruthie, your naivete is simply stunning.

Please don't ever stop posting here.
    ROFL. Too funny, j2, and for your amusement and viewing pleasure, I will continue to post away. I can feel the love

anywhichway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast