Thread: The Ring (eng Vs Jap)

After reading several threads on the forum, I decided to download "The Ring" to satisfy my horror cravings. I have read that the Japanese version is much better, but you have to deal with subtitles.

Problem: Japanese version is complete and playable on Divx2.0 and does have a nice opening 5 minutes, the English Version is many hours from completion. Should I wait for the English version ( Reading the subtitles detracts from the overall experience/mood of the film) or is the Japanese Version sufficiently superior to warrant watching it. I figure watching one will spoil the other.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Watch the Japanese original first. It was made first and is the story as it was meant to be seen, not some diluted Hollywood version. Just because a movie has subtitles doesn't mean it isn't any good. What about Akira, Seven Samurai, Man Bites Dog, Etc?? They all have subtitles and they kick ass!!
    Signature removed

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    cut the bottom off. simple, unlead i think will do it.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    i just hate the jap version. The subs are white, and everytime the backgorund of the film is white to, which it is a lot, its impossible to read the subs

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    I think Hollywood's version is better..the Japanese version is good, but the new version is better from my view...

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Poster
    I liked the Jap version better. I saw it tonight. I was impressed thought by the American version, on how they stuck to the plot nearly frame by frame. The overall basis of the movie was different. Hard to explain without giving it away. I suggest watching both versions.

Of course, the hollywood effects were better, but I thought the Jap version was creepier. I was able to stand the subtitles (usually hate subs). Overall, this story was cool, no matter how you spin it.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    I just finished watching the Hollywood version and I liked it (the lead female reminded me of Reccca Demournie-spelled wrong, but the chick from Risky Business).

I'm going to try the Japanese version on your suggestions.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Poster
    I think you will enjoy the Jap version, Ringu. In addition, I thought that it answered some of my unanswered questions that I had from the American version.