Thread: Svchost.exe faulty.

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    When I start up my P.C an error is displayed upon booting (when logging in) which says theres a problem with Svchost.exe (possibly to do with memory as the error states that memory could be "written" to).

I googled for this process and got the following info:

svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.
    True to the description I'm getting alot of .dll errors and my computer seems unstable. I can run it O.K but the graphics are weird (winamp 5 loads the old skin instead of the new modern one, windows is a cross between the new XP and "classic" styles and the system insists I don't have a sound device installed but can play music through the P.C and speakers attached to the sound card).

I've run an adware scan (the usual tracking cookies only) and an AV scan overnight (clean). I got a few corruption alerts and so ran scan disk which seemed to find alot of problems.

I'm not too sure what to do next. Is it possible to just download a version of svchost to replace the old one? I'm probably going to run another disk scan to check the problems haven't returned
    Last edited by SeK612; 12-07-2004 at 04:16 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    not sure
    but whenever i get a seriously faulty boot
    i do the following
    it has always solved my boot problems - in serious situations

if non of the above work (which i doubt)
    Start your PC with the 6 XP install disks. Select Repair ® option. Go to the DOS prompt. Type chkdsk /p /r + enter. When check disk is finished, type fixmbr + enter.

3. On the startup setup screen when your PC brand logo appears, press "R" for recovery console. it should give you the prompt.

4.Now type "chkdsk /r" (space after Chkdsk without " ")and enter leave it to finish. Now restart by typing "exit" and press enter. It should work.

If it doesnt do steps 1-3 but on step 4 type "chkdsk /p" and enter. If it finishes. type "fixboot X:" (X being the drive letter windows is installed on, it's usually C, but sometimes it can be a virtual drive like E). Next press enter.

Finally type exit to restart. It should work.
    Last edited by 100%; 12-07-2004 at 04:19 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    What happens if it messes up though? I suppose most of the stuff on my hard disk expdenable but I'm nervous trying things out with the disk in case it messes up completly. I do not know how to perform the system recovery thing if that happens plus I think I turned it off a while back ...

Can I not type the Dos commands in windows (I did try "chkdsk" which is the scan in Dos first but it wouldn't complete as process were running) or in safe mode (which cuts down on the process running) or boot into Dos and try it there?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    chdsk will run the next time you reboot - it's designed that way.