Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moral dilema

TheDave's Avatar n00b
    my mates getting a pc as a christmas/birthday present from his parents, it's his first.

cant remember what all the stats are he told me.

it comes with an amd athlon? 2200+ which although is becoming outdated is competant i think

the big thing though is it comes with a nvidia 5200, apparently. now i know my 9600 pro is becoming outdated and according to toms hardware it performs 3x as good as a 5200.

now his dad told him but his mum thinks its a secret. what should i tell him to do?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Tell him to enjoy his turkey.

Seriously... what should you tell him to do about what?
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    tell him to tell his parents to die or to get a different card

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    how is this a "moral dilema" ? anyways, it all depends on what he uses his comp for

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    games. the dilemma is should he let his mum know his dad's ruined christmas in order to get her to sort the card out? and is it ungrateful?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    hey, it's his first PC. What's he going to know about computing seriously. Given time, he'll learn to upgrade like the rest of us.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    if the comp is being bought at a retail store, i doubt his mom and him will be able to exchange the gfx card for another. unless his mom is buying over the net and customizing it, chances are he is going to have to buy a new card.

p.s I LOVE THIS "QUICK REPLY" ...so much faster
    Last edited by Mr. Elmo; 12-09-2004 at 07:11 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDave
    games. the dilemma is should he let his mum know his dad's ruined christmas in order to get her to sort the card out? and is it ungrateful?
    Of course it's ungrateful. What's he gonna say... "Mom, my mate's got a better grahpics card in his computer than what's in the one dad's getting for me so he's a tight git"?
    Look, there are many people that can't afford to buy things like that for their kids (our house included, with this year shaping up to be the worst in our 18 years together) and the moral issue here is whether to be an arsehole and wind him up or be enthusiastic about any gift of any value to any person anywhere.
    Jealousy is a nasty trait so don't encourage it.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    An fx5200 will run many games (except some of the latest) at highest settings. Turning off AA and Anisotropic filtering helps a lot. It is nowhere near as slow as some (mainly Ati fanboy) sites make out.

A few games are optimised for Ati cards and all Nvidia cards will run these slower, but there are just as many (maybe more) Nvidia optimised games which play comparatively poorly on Ati cards.

I wouldn't say a thing, it may sound like you are putting his new computer down. I'm sure he will be delighted with it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Of course it's ungrateful. What's he gonna say... "Mom, my mate's got a better grahpics card in his computer than what's in the one dad's getting for me so he's a tight git"?
    Look, there are many people that can't afford to buy things like that for their kids (our house included, with this year shaping up to be the worst in our 18 years together) and the moral issue here is whether to be an arsehole and wind him up or be enthusiastic about any gift of any value to any person anywhere.
    Jealousy is a nasty trait so don't encourage it.
    i'm sorry your family is poor it's not my fault though. it isn't about the money either, it's about inexperienced pc buyers choosing a custom pc. he phoned me last night to ask if the specs are good because his dad told him what they were.

i dont think its been bought yet, thats why its a dilema. even if they were on a strict budget they could cut back on other stuff to have a system better suited to gaming.

i mean dvd-writer and tft monitor btw, not food and rent
    Last edited by TheDave; 12-09-2004 at 10:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast