Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: What's The Meaning Of Life

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Z@31 March 2003 - 01:20
    -is dat you-formerly of "lil" fame?

j2 -
    Z-is dat you-formerly of "lil" fame?
    ebonics, huh? how old are u? lol.

and yes, this is the poster formerly known as lil_z. im back.
    [/quote]
    Not Ebonics, just old-time "Black"

After I asked, I found your other thread.

Look at you-all grown up.

Sounds like you "get" (and hence may at some time in the future, be able to use) Philosophy, huh?
    It's good stuff; extremely useful. Just don't ever count on the Zardoz' of the world to be vulnerable.
    Ignorance will ever reign as the ultimate (indeed, the only) tool in the fight against logic and reason. Nonetheless, we must fight the good fight.

You go, Z.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #42
    thank you. but there is no philosophy course next year.

and answer my question!

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    @ j2k4:

The idea that the meaning of life is to reproduce ourselves is outdated. Indeed, most people feel the urge to get children, BUT recent scientific research has pointed out that this urge is inspired more social than biological.....

A dutch biologist called Midas Deckers has just written a book about it, I don't know if it is already translated in english or if it will be translated in english...If you're interested in this, I can surely recommend it, it's very interesting.

About the black widow spider eating her male after mating: that's an urban legend. This spider kills her male after mating in extreme circumstances, eg when there isn't enough food. After killing it, she PRESERVES it to give it to the little spiders when they hatch....

I hope I've been e bit clear, a bit hard to describe all what I wanted to say in a language that is not my own.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Originally posted by Z@31 March 2003 - 02:09

and answer my question!
    By that I assume you mean my age?

I could direct you to the same place you revealed yours, but no.

44-amongst the "aged", here. But there are other considerations.......
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #45
    true skweeky.

we are more social than biological. or i otherwords, we are no longer instinctual. (in most things). we dont necessarily have a sex drive for reproduction and to carry on the race. its for pleasure. and if we want to have kids, we have kids. its not a duty for nature. we can control ourselves to an extent, which makes us different from animals. (another unit in my philo course - what is a person).

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Originally posted by j2k4+30 March 2003 - 20:13--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 30 March 2003 - 20:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Z@31 March 2003 - 02:09

and answer my question&#33;

44-amongst the "aged", here. But there are other considerations....... [/b][/quote]
    no actually i meant where is the universe?&#33;

and what other considerations are u talking about? like being 44 years young or something??

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Originally posted by Skweeky@31 March 2003 - 02:11
    @ j2k4:

The idea that the meaning of life is to reproduce ourselves is outdated. Indeed, most people feel the urge to get children, BUT recent scientific research has pointed out that this urge is inspired more social than biological.....

A dutch biologist called Midas Deckers has just written a book about it, I don&#39;t know if it is already translated in english or if it will be translated in english...If you&#39;re interested in this, I can surely recommend it, it&#39;s very interesting.

About the black widow spider eating her male after mating: that&#39;s an urban legend. This spider kills her male after mating in extreme circumstances, eg when there isn&#39;t enough food. After killing it, she PRESERVES it to give it to the little spiders when they hatch....

I hope I&#39;ve been e bit clear, a bit hard to describe all what I wanted to say in a language that is not my own.
    I shouldn&#39;t worry about the language difficulty if I were you. You do plenty well enough.

I do worship at all scientific altars that don&#39;t offend me in a spiritual sense (which is to say, I am bound only by MY standards).

In this case, I say, DAMN THEE, INTRUSIVE SCIENCE&#33;

I stand by my post, Skweeky-welcome to the thread&#33;

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Originally posted by Z+31 March 2003 - 02:17--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Z @ 31 March 2003 - 02:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -j2k4@30 March 2003 - 20:13
    <!--QuoteBegin--Z
    @31 March 2003 - 02:09

and answer my question&#33;

44-amongst the "aged", here. But there are other considerations.......
    no actually i meant where is the universe?&#33;

and what other considerations are u talking about? like being 44 years young or something?? [/b][/quote]
    Yes-

The universe, if I recall correctly, is just down the street from my house living in a duplex. I see it at the market occasionally, but it never has much to say. Distinctly asocial, actually.

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    thank you j2k4

As for my view on this:

I don&#39;t know what the meaning of life is, I don&#39;t know if I want to know. I try to live my life to the fullest, make the best of it. I try not to do things that make me feel unhappy. I try to love myself the way I am, but I work on my mistakes. I take every chance to try out new things and I hope that when I die I will have the feeling that I have had a good life. I don&#39;t want to regret things and I don&#39;t try to worry about things.

My favourite quote: &#39;remember that worrying about something is the same as trying to solve an algebra equasion with chewing bubblegum&#39;

As for the reproducing part:

I don&#39;t want kids, I don&#39;t think I ever will. I am scared of taking a responsibility that big. I don&#39;t believe I am capable of deciding things for another human being and bare the consequences of it as well. I don&#39;t want anyone to depend on me like that.
    Maybe I am wrong, I am only 19. I have not even explored a fraction of what I am, I don&#39;t know yet what kind of person I will be in 10 years time, people change. Maybe I&#39;ll change my mind and want kids when by the time I&#39;ll be 30. Maybe I will deny then the person I am now or maybe I am now denying the person who I will most likely become....

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Poster
    The meaning of life is One thing. And that one thing is what you make of it.
    If anyone wants any good advice come to me.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast