Thread: trial for blasphemy ? (scotland)

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A group of Christian protesters in Scotland has called on police to prosecute a theater company for blasphemy because it is putting on a play about a gay Jesus.

"If there is a blasphemy like this, Christians have to stand up," said Stephen Green of Christian Voice who protested outside a theatre showing Terence McNally's controversial play "Corpus Christi" at St Andrews University.

"Jesus Christ is being portrayed here as a foul-mouthed, drunken, promiscuous homosexual and that is an insult to my faith," Green told BBC Radio.

But the play's director, Zsuzsi Lyndsay, defended the production: "He is not portrayed as a drunken foulmouth. He doesn't say one bad word throughout the play."

Christian Voice was not placated. It has formally lodged a complaint with police, arguing that the American playwright's work was blasphemous. No decision has been taken yet.

source

Can someone actually be charged in with Blasphemy in Scotland?

Either way should Blasphemy be part of civil or criminal law, whatever country one is in?
    I know that it is a crime in some islamic countries and the penalties have been harsh. This is not a judgement of those cultures, just raising it before someone makes a "look at what these people do" comment

My opinion is that people have the right to not go see these kind of shows, and the right to condem them, however they don't have the right to stop them. Blasphemy should not be part of law.

If this jesus fellow exists and he is indeed going to return I say he should do it now and sue if he is offended

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Calls to repeal blasphemy law

Nov 27 2004

Calls have been made for the repeal of the ancient law of blasphemy, after the Government announced plans to outlaw incitement to religious hatred.

Some commentators had expected the repeal of the blasphemy law - which applies only to Christianity - to be announced in the Queen's Speech along with the new law, which protects all religions.

But Home Office minister Fiona Mactaggart made clear the Government was not intending to give all religions equal protection under the law by abolishing blasphemy.

"At the moment we have got no plans to deal with blasphemy," she told BBC Radio 4's Law in Action.

The new law "is not about what you say about a faith. It is about whether you incite hatred of people on the basis of their faith," she said.

But Liberal Democrat MP Evan Harris said that the new law was being seen by clerics from faiths such as Islam as putting them on an equal legal footing with Christianity and giving them new protection in the event of another controversy like that over Salman Rushdie's novel The Satanic Verses.

Unless the blasphemy law was repealed, free discussion of religions risked being restricted, he argued.

Dr Harris told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "There is a great deal of worry that such a law will prevent, either directly or indirectly through self-censorship, legitimate criticism of religion, which - given the world we face at the moment - is absolutely critical."

Repealing the blasphemy law would "send a signal" that the new legislation is designed to prevent the incitement of hatred and not to stifle debate, he said.

"People of religious views are sensitive and do take offence, but in a free society, we need to ensure that people are free to criticise religions and criticise each others religions," said Dr Harris.

There were rumours about Jesus, 30 odd and not married.
    Last edited by bigboab; 12-10-2004 at 10:03 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    There are some archaic laws on the Scottish statutes. However, interpretation is everything. If the play is a genuine artistic effort exploring universal themes then the action is unlikely to get anywhere. The article suggests that those protesting have not seen the production - also likely to be a factor in the case.

There is genuine concern over anything that might promote religious hatred but I do not think this extends to specific religious sensibilities over works of art. If any attempt was made to revive the blasphemy laws then they would have to apply to all religions and this might have unforseen reprecussions.

I seem to recall a similar play shown on the BBC more than 20 years ago - I think there was attempts to use the blasphemy laws back then too but, as far as I can remember, with little success.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    There are some archaic laws on the Scottish statutes. However, interpretation is everything. If the play is a genuine artistic effort exploring universal themes then the action is unlikely to get anywhere. The article suggests that those protesting have not seen the production - also likely to be a factor in the case.

There is genuine concern over anything that might promote religious hatred but I do not think this extends to specific religious sensibilities over works of art. If any attempt was made to revive the blasphemy laws then they would have to apply to all religions and this might have unforseen reprecussions.

I seem to recall a similar play shown on the BBC more than 20 years ago - I think there was attempts to use the blasphemy laws back then too but, as far as I can remember, with little success.
    I'm not sure if that is the same play that I was thinking about. It 'suggested' that Jesus was gay. The producers were going to be taken to court until someone said that you would have to prove that he was not gay in order to win the case. Never heard anymore after that.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    blasphemy

the crime of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God or a religion and its doctrines and writings and esp. God as perceived by Christianity and Christian doctrines and writings

so in theory (although not likely in reality) i could be up in court for stating God doesn't exist ?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    LOL. better make it a class action ..I'm in.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway