Thread: Router?

Well every once in a while my fooking router seems it would eb fun to disconnect me ever few hours. AAnd now its sarting to get more annoying and frequent. The router also seems to be making a very loud noise and genrally needs replacing. Im looking for a cheap router that is easy to setup. Im only connecting two pc's and all they need to do is share the ent, no file sharing or print server or anything.

I have NTL Cable internet, and i have been looking around on ebuyer and they all say for ADSL. Is that a different name for cable or a totally different thing?

Iv been looking around and this seems like a cheap router and has quite good feedback.
    Ebuyer 4 Port SPI Firewall ADSL Modem Router
    Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to use one or have ehard any reviews? I want to be able to forward my usual P2P ports and such.

Basically i want a no frills no bullshit thing to share the net, i dont want it to confuse me or pop up saying you have preformed an illigal operation and must now use admin cammands through MSdos or any other complicated bullshit. I want it to work, as im utter shyte with these things.

Thanks for the help .
    Last edited by peerzyboy; 12-12-2004 at 04:13 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm pretty sure that's not going to work with cable. As you rightly said that's an ADSL modem.

If you tell us what you've got at the moment we can look at it's specifications and suggest a replacement.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I'm pretty sure that's not going to work with cable. As you rightly said that's an ADSL modem.

If you tell us what you've got at the moment we can look at it's specifications and suggest a replacement.
    Well i brought it a while ago from ebuyer, it was advertised as Ebuyer's own brand. It was justa router and have a USB print server. It was the cheapest hing i could find. When it rived it turned out it was Origo, however i cannot find any pictures or stuff of my model anywhere.

Whats the difference between ASDL and cable?

Make: Origo
    Model: BRP-1400
    Name: 4 Port 10/100m inernet broadband router
    Last edited by peerzyboy; 12-12-2004 at 05:07 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Looks like this is what you've got. Have you checked for firmware updates?

There seems to be one here which supposedly solves most hangup problems. What have you got to lose, if you are thinking of buying a new one anyway.

Edit: otherwise, try one of these
    Last edited by lynx; 12-12-2004 at 07:11 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    perzy, fancy buying a linksys befsr41 router? http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=54774 i have one sitting here doing nothing.
    i also have the same router as you lying around.
    Last edited by Livy; 12-12-2004 at 07:51 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Livy
    perzy, fancy buying a linksys befsr41 router? http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=54774 i have one sitting here doing nothing.
    i also have the same router as you lying around.
    Hmmmmmmmm iv heard of the make before and iv heard good things. Can you comment on how easy i is to forward ports an dge it setup. How much do you want for it?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    £25 delivered?
    pretty easy to setup, i had no problems, u can either forward i range of ports to all the computers, or to a specific ip. it needs a firmware update as the one on it has problems, but i could do that before i sent it if you were intrested.
    its boxed with manual and network cable.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    In case you're still interested in the one you initially posted about, the product brochure they link to here: http://image.ebuyer.com/customer/pdf/UK/D48449.pdf says it supports PPP over ethernet, so it'll plug straight into your NTL TV box - or cablemodem if they're using them now.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?