View Poll Results: Mandatory Military Service for the right to vote?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 15.15%
  • No.

28 84.85%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory military service to vote?

Youre a big joke

2. Lounge   -   #22
    PS

Id be the first one to be throwing a molotov at your crazy ass

Last edited by ziggyjuarez; 12-14-2004 at 01:15 AM.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

Dry

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Thats why i said "service" but not necessarily Military.

There are plenty of other things that could be done.
    like i said, a good idea. Cadets? Community Service? Jury duty (lmfao)? take your pick

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    oi, stop hijacking ziggy

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    To have criteria for voting is like saying some people are better than others. I think society should cling on to the illusion that everyone's opinion is equally valid.

As for compulsory voting, I think this is a mistake. I believe in freedom of choice, and you should be free to choose to vote, or not to vote, as you see fit.

I just wish there actually was a choice in this country at the moment, now I hear on the news that the Tories will back the ID cards bill.... just where are the alternatives? Where's the choice?

It's not surprising that the voters don't bother turning out.. It's hard to tell the difference between either of the so-called main parties, the Tabloids will choose the next government, as always, they'll pick the one they can have most "fun" with and who they can sell the most papers off the back of.

Having some kind of "eligibility to vote" criteria isn't going to change anything...
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 06-11-2007 at 11:50 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    the Tabloids will choose the next government, as always,
    This is the problem that i have - the whole system is a popularity contest, and the issues that are discussed during the propoganda are a) not thought about seriously by many people, and b)ignored after the election anyhow.

I would definitely agree to a system to make people vote if they really want it, and then my idea of making them goto classes would work - all can do it, and you dont benefit from being intelligent, black, gay, disabled, able-bodied,.....

This way, you get rid of the
    Having some kind of "eligibility to vote" criteria isn't going to change anything
    problem, cos people would be taught (impartially) what the parties offer, their beliefs, ideas etc. also a bit about basic tax systems etc, so that people who want to vote can, and make an informed vote, instead of relying on "tabloid propoganda"
    <insert signature here>

7. Lounge   -   #27
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by vivitron 15
    This is the problem that i have - the whole system is a popularity contest, and the issues that are discussed during the propoganda are a) not thought about seriously by many people, and b)ignored after the election anyhow.

I would definitely agree to a system to make people vote if they really want it, and then my idea of making them goto classes would work - all can do it, and you dont benefit from being intelligent, black, gay, disabled, able-bodied,.....

This way, you get rid of the problem, cos people would be taught (impartially) what the parties offer, their beliefs, ideas etc. also a bit about basic tax systems etc, so that people who want to vote can, and make an informed vote, instead of relying on "tabloid propoganda"
    That's not such a bad idea, it's a whole lot better than RF's ill conceived 1-2 year paperclip survey.

As you say it would have to be a fairly rudimentary course without a pass/fail criteria such that no-one is necessarily excluded.

However, to make this course easily accessable to all it would involve a fair bit of planning; qualified instructors would need to be prepared to travel to the homes of bed-riden folk, childcare would have to be organised for single Mums. Recompense would have to be sorted for the employed (akin to jury service) - you can imagine that I could go on and on here ... :really:

The cost involved would be a major sticking point, the incumbent party would not implement it because the opposition would, rightly, argue that it is uneccessary and the money is better spent on education or health. It is a surefire vote loser.

Also this rudimentary course would not suffice to battle the mighty PR machines of the respective parties nor the wily persuasions of the tabloid press which bombard the senses day in and day out. It's an honourable idea but it's akin to a man with a pitchfork fending off a fully laden APV.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    this is true, and the cost would inevitably be astronomical, though i also have a plan for that

The second thing (of many) which i hate about our system of democracy abd voting etc. is the cost of an election campaign...im sure i read that in the recent presidential election there were 10,000 lawyers on standby, ready to fight for the candidates...cost=unreal. then theres the travelling around the country, cost=a lot. of course this is all without 'cheap' publicity stunts and tv advertising (prime time).

Id love to know how much is spent in each election run-up by each party. I bet that the cost of this could be reduced drastically, especially since there is no 'propoganda' in my new system.

disclaimer: I hate the democratic system, but havent completely worked out a new system, so there will be holes in my argument, all I know is there is something better
    <insert signature here>

9. Lounge   -   #29
    at least it means that only those that give a fuck will vote
    my point exactly, Voting is not mandatory (that's not my point at all), i just said that those that want to vote should do some sort of service that anyone could do, and then they would realize that voting isn't something you should toy with (ie. blindly vote).

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    u can go at 16
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast