Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Router... or not?

VIP...just ask any
    I'm in need of a router to network two computers, and since my son wants to connect his PS2 (or xbox which ever plays online), I was thinking of getting a wireless so I don't have to punch holes in walls for cable.

My Questions are:

1) Will there be substantually more lag using a wireless, for gaming, as apposed to a direct connect router?

2) Can I connect both computers, and his PS2, using a wireless?

Thanx for any advice
    WR

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterook-2
    1) Will there be substantually more lag using a wireless, for gaming, as apposed to a direct connect router?

2) Can I connect both computers, and his PS2, using a wireless?
    1) there shouldn't be. although one thing you might want to do is make sure that you get a router and adapters which all share a recent wireless spec such as 802.11g (100mbps... a.k.a. megabits per second). some of the earlier ones like 802.11b (11mbps) are a bit slower. while both of those specs are faster than the average broadband connection, the 100mbps router + adapters will most likely (your mileage may vary, of course) have better latency and less lag than the 11mbps router + adapters as far as games go... just 'cos the 100mbps setup has so much more bandwidth to spare and it'll be less prone to choking up when your internet traffic really gets going.

2) yes. the router should have no problem with PCs and a PS2, and nearly ever wireless adapter on the shelf will be Windows-compatible. the only thing i'd really suggest watching out for is: make sure that you get a wireless adapter for the PS2 which is known to be PS2-compatible (or advertised as such), 'cause that's not as sure a bet as Windows-compatibility.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 12-14-2004 at 05:19 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    VIP...just ask any
    Thanx 3rain1ac...good info

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    If the wireless router and the computers or the ps2 or whatever are too far from eachother (like, say, basement to second story\floor) the connection might drop once in a while.

This used to happen to my friend a lot. Not sure what he did about it though.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    yes. that can be a problem. prolly best to position the router in a place that's sort of midway between all of your computers, if you have a large house.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Goes Rawr!
    or buy a signal booster.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by SaYiaN
    or buy a signal booster.
    boooooooooring (and expensive)

build your own (some eating required): http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

ow and 802.11g doesnt go up to 100Mib/s, but only 54 Mib/s

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I just bought myself a Linksys WAG54G Wireless ADSL Router with 4 port switch.

Runs perfect w/ no problems whatsoever. Highly recommended.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...6970&GroupID=0

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    muchspl2
    what do you guys think of this one, I'm about to get a wireless router and wanted your input.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=0&NoMapp=0

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    muchspl2 - when i was researching what modem to get i came across that one on a number of sites. a few, actually had reviews on them with regards to the item. apparently it has trouble with outgoing connections, and overheats very quickly, with some customers saying it totally shut down, needing a reboot.

i'd say no. also avoid the netgear dg632. worst customer service ever. that modem wouldn't even allow me to connect to an ftp server ffs.

my advice. buy linksys. a little bit more expensive yes, but so much worth it when you use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast