Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Considering Buying a DVD Burner, but I need to learn about them first

david622's Avatar Procrastinator
    Alright, thanks. I'm looking at one on Bestbuy.com

Is it any good? It's really cheap. It'll be like 40 bucks after the 30 dollar rebate and my gift cards:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at01041&cmp=++

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I wouldn't buy the Pioneer.

Look for the NEC Model ND-3500A as posted on the previous page or the LG: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...136-044&depa=0

I'm not saying that the Pioneer isn't good but I would choose another. (Personal choice).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    You could wait after christmas, there will be really good deals on burners
    Right now I feel that DVD burners are too slow and produce too many coasters

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    muchspl2
    thats BS
    I've burned about 250 dvd's since a few months ago when I got my nec2510 and have only had one coaster & that was because I lost power during a storm
    you don't know what you're talking about.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    If you need a DVD player, may I recommend the Philips DVP642. It's about 60 bucks at Best Buy and its the best, ask anyone who owns one.

Its been posted already but www.videohelp.com is an excellent starting place in order to figure out compatibility issues since DVD's arent like CD's in the sense that they burn and play in about anything. I bought a dual-layer burner at Best Buy thats made by Digital Technologies and writes at 8X for 59 bucks and I use Memorex DVD+R's to record on and have yet to have a single coaster.

And follow Virtualbody's advice about not getting an external. You'll spend more, it'll take up more room, etc. Just replace your DVD drive with the new DVD writer. It's easy

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a DVD burner, not a DVD player. Thanks for helping anyway ^_^
    Last edited by david622; 12-14-2004 at 12:04 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Thats why I posted this as well...

Its been posted already but www.videohelp.com is an excellent starting place in order to figure out compatibility issues since DVD's arent like CD's in the sense that they burn and play in about anything. I bought a dual-layer burner at Best Buy thats made by Digital Technologies and writes at 8X for 59 bucks and I use Memorex DVD+R's to record on and have yet to have a single coaster.

And follow Virtualbody's advice about not getting an external. You'll spend more, it'll take up more room, etc. Just replace your DVD drive with the new DVD writer. It's easy

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    About the getting an external thing.... like I said before, My computer doesn't have a slot for another drive. Obviously, replacing an existing one solves that problem though.

Also, it kinda stinks because my computer's cd drives match so well with the faceplate ^_^

But I'll still get an internal, because it seems it'll be cheaper and do what (and more than) what I need.

Which drive should I replace if I buy the DVD burner? My DVD drive or my CD-Burner?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Your burner. Also, I highly recommend an internal Plextor, NEC or Sony. They're the best at present, although Plextor are slightly more expensive, NEC is a sure bet. I'll be purchasing a new one after Christmas, which is when i'll advise you to get one too.

Also, get dual-layer. You'll look at paying 5% more (if that) than a regualr DVD burner.

Also, get one which will burn both + / - format.

Samurai

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    What do Dual Layer drives do that others don't? Can they burn more data to a disk?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast