Thread: Video CArds

numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    Whic is better AGP or PCI Express? I thought AGP cards tend to be more stable

Da Numba1Xclusive King

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    In terms of speed the PCI Express cards are better but I'm not sure about stability.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    PCI - Slowest
    AGP - Standard for these days
    PCI Express - New, very fast

All as stable as each other.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    AGP is effectively a high speed (old style) pci bus. So it is faster but there is no new technology so no problem

Current PCI Express for graphics is effectively Serialised AGP. It isn't really much faster, and there is no problem with serialisation at that speed (high speed SATA controllers will do it too). Again, no new technology so no problem.

Full PCI Express will be the same as the current PCI Express for graphics, but faster still. In theory there could be stability problems because of the ultra high speed bus over relatively long distances. But most problems come in synchronising the parallel bitstreams when running at high speed. But this is a serial bus so there no synchronisation is necessary. The result is a simplified interface so it should be very stable.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy
    In terms of speed the PCI Express cards are better but I'm not sure about stability.
    what utter crap..........

PCI-X have more available bandwith, but are just as fast as their AGP counterparts (the processor determins the speed, the bandwith for both slots are way to high to be a limiting factor)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    Just one more question...is there anyway to increase my FPS on certain games like Doom 3..I'm running that at like...800x600 high texture..and get like 30 FPS...anyway to increase w/o Ocing...buying new card...PC..etc? I already shut the AA and AT filters off in my 5200 FX's drivers...so that shouldnt be a problem...

Da Numba1Xclusive King

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    That's about as good as it is going to get with Doom3/FX5200.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.