Thread: How do I move my Geocities hosted page to real hosting?

Poster
    I made my site with Geocities Pagebuilder because I needed hosting + I know nothing about HTML.

I have finally gotten 10GB of bandwith/unlimited storage for all the downloadable content on my site, but is there away to move my site onto this new host so I don't get those Yahoo banners anymore, no limited bandwith and faster loads?

Keep in my mind, I really know nothing about HTML!
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    That may not be possible if you are using the free hosting provided by Geocities. If you are paying for it you can download the pages from within Geocities or use a ftp program:
    instructions here. I tried copying a free geocities website but in doing so I still had to redirect several links, etc from within the source page. More of a headache than it's worth...just start from scratch.

Unless someone else knows how, that may be your only way.
    Last edited by CornerPocket; 12-16-2004 at 05:53 PM.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    You could save them and use something like DreamWeaver form that point also...

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Poster
    I have a Streamload.com account with a native FTP interface... Someone did suggest just copying all the source stuff into notepad, saving it as HTML files and uploading those to Streamload... The only problem is I don't know where to change the links in the source!
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    That's why I say it's time consuming. Basically you have to search through the source information (which should be in HTML format) and look for the links used and re-direct to your new url addy (or folder location). This will mean all pics, links, files, etc IF you have them linked directly from inside Geocities site. If you had links to sites, etc outside Geocities you can leave those 'as is'.

Trust me, you may be better off starting on from scratch, but if time is what you have then go the above route. (could be a learning experience as would be from square 1).

Best of luck to you.....

If you need some help shoot me an email. I'll help best I can.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    nsane's Avatar .
    you could edit them in editpad and use the 'search & replace' replace feature on all the URLs