Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing an animated .gif question

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I opened a .gif in Fireworks and its obvious how to make frame by frame adjustments. I can see directly below the gif I open, all the frame by frame controls. Photoshop is the program I need to use though. When I open it there I get the warning:

"This is an animated GIF. You can only view one frame. Saving over this file will result in a loss of information."

Is there something I'm not getting?
    Is there a setting change I need to make?

p.s. I figured I'd make a thread out of this ROSSCO

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    razorsharp013's Avatar Fountain of Wit
    Photoshop comes with ImageReady....you can use ImageReady for editing animated .gifs

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsharp013
    Photoshop comes with ImageReady....you can use ImageReady for editing animated .gifs

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Adobe Photoshop does not open up animated gifs. IF you do this, you will ONLY get the first frame of the gif. However, Adobe Imageready, which comes with photoshop is for making animated gifs, and editing them. If you open your animated gif into Adobe Imageready, you will be able to edit each frame/layer.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Yeah, I did that but when I went to play the final animation, ImageReady didn't play each frame in a row, instead it played them ontop of each other. I couldn't figure it out so I just saved each frame individually (only 13 frames) thinking I could just put them into Windows Movie Maker real quick and be done with it. Nope. Windows movie maker won't allow a frame to be shorter than 1 second and I need each to be .1 second in length. So here I am back in ImageReady with all 13 frames and the animation box open, but I can't figure out how to put them in there. I've tried everything, er all but one thing I guess...

Any suggestions??

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Yeah, I did that but when I went to play the final animation, ImageReady didn't play each frame in a row, instead it played them ontop of each other. I couldn't figure it out so I just saved each frame individually (only 13 frames) thinking I could just put them into Windows Movie Maker real quick and be done with it. Nope. Windows movie maker won't allow a frame to be shorter than 1 second and I need each to be .1 second in length. So here I am back in ImageReady with all 13 frames and the animation box open, but I can't figure out how to put them in there. I've tried everything, er all but one thing I guess...

Any suggestions??
    Okay, what you do is for each frame, make only what layer you want, visible. So for frame one, only make only layer one visible. Frame 2, make layer 2 visible, this way it will not show every layer on top of one another. You can do this by clicking the eye on each layer to toggle visibility.
    Last edited by orcutt989; 12-18-2004 at 03:47 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    each layer has one copy. So do I need to merge each copy with each original and then plug them in?

The other question up there was, how do I get the frames into the animation window?
    Last edited by Skizo; 12-18-2004 at 03:53 AM.

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Okay, I figured out how to do it in Windows Movie Maker but, now I gotta make it a .gif. Hhmm...how am I going to make it a gif?
    Last edited by Skizo; 12-18-2004 at 05:57 AM.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Fireworks is easier for animated gifs.

In photoshop it shows teh wrong layers on wrong frames and takes a while to configure properly.
    fireworks you just put what you want on a frame and it's on that frame only.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    Fireworks is easier for animated gifs.

In photoshop it shows teh wrong layers on wrong frames and takes a while to configure properly.
    fireworks you just put what you want on a frame and it's on that frame only.
    Alright fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    each layer has one copy. So do I need to merge each copy with each original and then plug them in?

The other question up there was, how do I get the frames into the animation window?

What do you mean each layer has one copy? Copy of what? What do you mean "Plug them in" ?
    Last edited by orcutt989; 12-18-2004 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast