Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone Just Gave Me Hell For K-lite

I'm currently sharing around 45 gigs, but I also have the privacy patch in place. It seems to be the only smart thing to do these days, especially for us Comcast customers. I also lament the loss of the old freedom to browse and be browsed.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by ksmurf@31 March 2003 - 03:23
    Someone named "MACH" just gave me hell because my participation rating is at 1000. i thought this was just part of the k-lite program. if he is so concerned about the ethics of downloading why does he own a computer w/ connection. i verifiy and post (on another account) all fakes and all good. has anyone else had problems with this guy? Pls Respond.
    I havnt had any problems like this but if someone did msg me with attitude i'd just tell them to piss off and then put them on ignore.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Originally posted by clocker@9 April 2003 - 12:02
    Ah, but how can you tell that they're not sharing?

I'm currently sharing 30+GB but have applied the "privacy patch"(right next to the "nicotine patch") and as far as I know you can't tell if I share or not...
    I hated to do it as I always enjoyed browsing other folks' Shared Folders, but these are perilous times in which to engage in risky behaviour, no?

why so risky ? is there any security issues i should be aware of ?

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    The privacy patch (as well as PeerGuardian) is just a precaution to take against MediaForce and their ilk. Once they start a download from you, they'll hit "Find more from same user" in order to send your ISP nasty email about your pirating ways. The patch just makes it so "Find more from same user" comes up with no results.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@10 April 2003 - 23:34
    The privacy patch (as well as PeerGuardian) is just a precaution to take against MediaForce and their ilk. Once they start a download from you, they'll hit "Find more from same user" in order to send your ISP nasty email about your pirating ways. The patch just makes it so "Find more from same user" comes up with no results.

call me stupid if you like but, who allows 'or' how do 'these people' to gain access to that information [who my 'ISP' is]
    its not like my ISP is going to do anything about it [are they ?]
    to take action they would surely have to cut off 90 percent of there customers
    because of the amount of them using file sharing programs
    Still i agree it is a blatent breach of privacy

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Pure, you might use the "search" feature, All Open Forums, using "Comcast" as the term. Look at the threads entitled "Looks Like Comcast Is Cracking Down" and "Internet Provider Says Stop Uploading." There have been more mentions, but those two threads will give you an overview, pros and cons, of the problem. I suggest the early and heavy use of "search" for all newcomers - it keeps one from asking dumb questions or questions that have already been asked dozens of times. I use it a lot.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    sorry thanks for the info

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Privacy Patch users are almost as bad as non-sharers in my book. If you are uploading from me I have every right (or should have) to see what you are sharing and get something from you. Privacy Patch or not, if I cannot list your files I will send you a PM asking you to share or show your files, if you do not I will boot you.

I understand everyone's issues with the bad guys and there unending need to stop us, however you also have to understand mine. I have a lot of rare material that is normally highly sought after by many members of this forum as well as others on the KZ network. And in order for me to try and get the files out and about the people uploading from me and filling my slots have to be sharing or I will never be able to rotate my files.

You have to understand that I cannot just continue to add hard drives, I will eventually have to unshare some files and want the people uploading from me to share them so that I may in fact delete them at some point. If I cannot list your files then I must assume that you are not sharing any and will not then share mine once you have uploaded it all, so in keeping with my overall sharing goals and objectives I must then block your IP and let someone in who I think will continue to share my files.

Hopefully you all understand this, I do not think I am being over critical here, I simply must share these files with people who will in turn share them or some of you may never have to chance to get them.

To sum it all up I do not use the privacy patch nor will I because I beleive we have every right to share and to be able to view what others are sharing.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by ShareDaddy@11 April 2003 - 16:01
    ...I have a lot of rare material that is normally highly sought after by many members of this forum as well as others on the KZ network. And in order for me to try and get the files out and about the people uploading from me and filling my slots have to be sharing or I will never be able to rotate my files...
    As do I, ShareDaddy. Not films, but books. If people aren't uploading Captain Tylor from me, it's one of my many books. However, they've been able to find that type of thing just fine, privacy patch included. Sometimes I'm not certain how they find it, as 80% of what I do have is pretty rare on the Fasttrack network, but that's another story. As I'd rather not lose my broadband, which only has one company running through my neck of the woods, I'll keep using the privacy patch. If Kazaa's running, I'm always behind the keyboard, so catching me isn't terribly difficult. Although I've yet to have someone send me a message about leeching.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    SD, I respect and understand your attitude. I used to think that being able to browse the other guy's SF was an integral part of the sharing experience. However, I don't want to lose my broadband. Comcast is actively seeking sharers in my area and some friends have gotten warning letters. Surely you don't expect us to lose our ISP just so everyone (including RIAA/Comcast) can browse our SF? That seems irrational.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast