View Poll Results: Abortion: For Or Against

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

59 56.73%
  • Against

11 10.58%
  • For only in certain circumstances. Explain (rape, incest, save the mother, etc.)

34 32.69%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion: For Or Against?

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    It is always case by case, that's what case by case means.

Like I said I will not produce a list of possible scenarios. I have already mentioned a particularly extreme (true) case to illustrate the point.
    Well your true case was not a case of abortion so it did not illustrate your point.

When do you believe that the unborn is entitled to rights, or does that only occur after birth.
    That, consequently, is my conundrum. I'm against partial birth abortions wholeheartedly
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #52
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    now busy cleared it up i voted "for" as i believe in the right of choice, even thoughit is not a choice i would make myself
    I thought you were a guy.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #53
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I thought you were a guy.
    Geez, and I thought I had left out the most important fact....
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #54
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Coming back late to this, and observing JPaul's comments, guess I must respond.

Obviously, no offence is taken in any way. The debate moved on...but my position at the time was one of ambiguity and provocation towards other issues... and I give you that.

Still, that debate still rages, and will continue for some time.

My 'opinion' if I have to give it is this...

I do not dispute the right to life of a human being, nor the repulsiveness of 'cosmetic' abortion.

Exceptions may and will apply, and they must be considered individually and pretty bloody quickly.

Abortion is ultimately the woman's choice although the father of the child should be allowed input.

I am against late abortion beyond say...12-14 weeks unless there is a very, very, very good reason.

5. Lounge   -   #55
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    However let's be honest, how often is one talking about life and death, or a situation like the above. As opposed to the convenience of the parents.
    Besides getting into one's perception of "life or death", it should also be considered that mental health issues have a large role to play in the decision to abort or not...for many people, that is.
    It really isn't anyone else's business if a woman chooses to have an abortion..
    Abortion should be available, and not in a back alley.
    I am sure some people make what some seem to refer to as selfish decisions, and, well...should that person be having a baby? How about a baby born with fetal alcohol syndrome, crack addictions, etc?
    In some ways, I am amazed this is an issue for anyone,as it's no one's business.
    Too much judgement..never know what a person's experience is unless you've walked in their shoes, and the bottom line is, we haven't...experience is unique to each and every individual,as is the way they perceive and process said experiences.
    side note...for all the places abortion is illegal, I hope that ship keeps sailing that women can get on to have an abortion if so desired.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

6. Lounge   -   #56
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    It's the unborn's business.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #57
    It's the unborn's business.
    Then that's something for the mother to take up with her maker.

Ultimately the mother is the vessel for life. She is in control.
    If she consumes alcohol, indulges in smoking, etc. it can affect the baby.

Here's where black and white comes in:

If one sprout's the religious perspective that the moment of conception is where life begins them how can any instance of

possible birth defects
    rape
    or incest

be a reason for an abortion? What makes the unborn in these instances have a lesser right to life than the unborn that may cause stretch marks?

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Firstly thank you, no offence was intended. However, I must once again take objection to the time issue.

I remain of the opinion that one accepts that the unborn is a person, or one denies it. Any "time from conception" based argument must be rejected.

For the simple reason that it assumes that there is a moment, post conception that one becomes a human. That makes no sense to me, we are not tadpoles, we do not go thro' a larval stage. We are human, from the moment of conception.

The argument seems to base it's validity on when the unborn looks sufficiently human to be afforded the same right to life as the rest of us. The core of my being tells me that argument is wrong.
    Although again this can vary with religion. I read somewhere that the Zoarastrians held that the soul enters the womb in the 22nd week of pregnancy. Quite how they knew this I do not know. However, I suppose all religious revelations look a tad odd when viewed from the outside.

I believe there is a move to reduce the time limits downwards in the UK to 14 or 16 weeks (except for medical emergencies). However, as I understand it, 98% of existing abortions occur within this timeframe anyway so it wouldn't change much.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. Lounge   -   #59
    SpatulaGeekGirl's Avatar Noodle Critic BT Rep: +2
    Oh yeah, no question.

Imagine: have sex with a condom, condom has a hole, get preggers at 16/17 ect.

If it happened to me I would get an abortion, I might feel a little bit bad about it but I hate children and I don't want any.
    That's the way the potato mashes.
    That's the way the pan flashes.
    That's the way the market crashes.
    That's the way the whip lashes.
    That's the way the teeth gnashes.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Why'd you feel bad about if you hate children anyway?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast