View Poll Results: Abortion: For Or Against

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

59 56.73%
  • Against

11 10.58%
  • For only in certain circumstances. Explain (rape, incest, save the mother, etc.)

34 32.69%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion: For Or Against?

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    k, then its FOR... The womans Right to Choose
    Glad to see that you voted.

For anyone else, the poll is not directed as FOR or AGAINST like it's something you would like to see more of or your favorite team.

It's regarding a woman's rights which I thought was fairly obvious.

My apologies.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I do understand your position and if it were only the Mother's rights to consider then the question would be much simpler.

However I also think that the unborn has rights too. In which case it is not a case of black or white. It is a case of balancing those rights.

For anyone who believes the unborn (be it child or fetus) has no rights then it really is a non-question.

I suppose what the whole abortion debate can be summed up by a couple of questions.

1. Is the unborn a human being.

2. Do they have any right to life.

If the answer to these questions is no (for the individual) then it is wholly down to the parents to decide. With the Mother having the right to make the decision

However if the answer is yes (which I believe), then it is no longer the black and white issue that you suggest. I believe that all human beings have inalienable rights. The first of which is the right to life, which outweighs everything else. So the unborn's right also have to be considered.
    Good post.

I don't believe an embryo is a person. It is the equivalent of a tadpole and before that, it's the equivalent of a protozoa.

To further the point, if one takes the hardline religious stance then abortion should be illegal under any circumstance.

No bullshitting around with incest or rape conundrums. The religious stance should be, "Have the baby no matter what."

So depending on what you believe is a baby or whatever, there shouldn't be grey areas.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #43
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Read carefully. I said the 7th month is out of the question not the appropriate cutoff. Nice try though for someone who, hmmm, himself, hasn't voiced a stance. Maybe I can find it somewhere by using the Advanced Search.
    I apologize, B., I voted several days ago when I first saw the poll, but never thought to confirm this in light of the board's recent spasms; I now understand your pique, and have voted and verified same.

I would be interested to hear how you would divine the exact point at which life begins; I myself stick hard by the moment of conception, as it signifies the point at which the march toward a new life seems-forgive the term-fated.

I see no other more-or-less obvious point of reference.

Your thoughts?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I can only speak for myself and my understanding of the stance taken by my religion. Which is not a black and white one. It is a case by case one.

However the default position is that abortion is wrong. It is seen as the taking of a life, there must be overwhelming reasons for that to be acceptable. The main one being, as you have stated the choice between one life or the other. The mother will take precedence.

For anyone who takes the same or a similar position to yours "I don't believe an embryo is a person. It is the equivalent of a tadpole and before that, it's the equivalent of a protozoa." then surely it is a non question.

I don't believe a tadpole or a protozoa has the same rights as a human being, but then I don't see how one can view an unborn person as not being human. I don't think we metamorphose into a human being. I think that is what we are, we may not look it in the early stages but it is what we are.
    Now we are getting somewhere. Explain how it is not black and white based your stance. Barring that the mother is in danger, where does case by case come into effect?

I mean, what other cases can there be (based on your stance)?

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I apologize, B., I voted several days ago when I first saw the poll, but never thought to confirm this in light of the board's recent spasms; I now understand your pique, and have voted and verified same.

I would be interested to hear how you would divine the exact point at which life begins; I myself stick hard by the moment of conception, as it signifies the point at which the march toward a new life seems-forgive the term-fated.

I see no other more-or-less obvious point of reference.

Your thoughts?
    That's my man!!!

I believe that life starts at the moment of conception as well. I just don't view a merged sperm and egg the same as a baby.

Btw, what case(s) would you view abortion as being kosher?
    Last edited by Busyman; 12-30-2004 at 09:01 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    That's my man!!!

I believe that life starts at the moment of conception as well. I just don't view a merged sperm and egg the same as a baby.

Btw, what case(s) would you view abortion as being kosher?

I cannot reply to your last as I am not Jewish.

I would regard it (however regretfully) an option to be considered only in case of rape/incest/survival.

Avoidance of "stretch-marks" (as was profferred recently) wouldn't qualify.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'm interested that only 3 people were against, one gets the impression that the proportions would be somewhat more even from the media.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    *goddess*'s Avatar Oh bugger BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I don't know if you're referring to the legal side of abortion, I know here what we actually want appears to have little to do with laws made/amended.

I couldn't have an abortion myself unless it was an extreme circumstance, but I generally wouldn't condemn someone that has one.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I'm interested that only 3 people were against, one gets the impression that the proportions would be somewhat more even from the media.
    You are noticing an effect of media bias:

Popular opinion (as defined by most feminists, aided and abetted by the major media) holds that the "gray" area (option 3 in our poll) does not exist, and the public whose opinion resides therein are no different than those who would choose the "black" (#2) option.

It does their "cause" no good to publicize the fact that this school of thought even exists.

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #50
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    now busy cleared it up i voted "for" as i believe in the right of choice, even thoughit is not a choice i would make myself

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast