Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So Called"friendly Fire"

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Power User, I understand your point, believe me.

And I lost people I knew in Blue on Blue fire in Desert Storm....I dont like it.

However my point stands.

I would rather these occasionally happened, than everyone 'hesitates' in a possible life/death situation....this would ultimately create a much higher number of casualties.

I know what equipment this particular aircraft has, however...I refer you to my previous post as to why this particular type of accident happens.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    I'd be amazed if the soldier was court-martialed. It would be...nice...(maybe "fitting" would be a better word)... if the soldier was made to attend each of the funeral services, (albiet maybe incognito to avoid more pain to families), so that he can see the consequences of his actions. This tends to be the missing aspect in these sorts of actions. Within a matter of weeks the pilot will be led to anger, instead of responsibility, by his military comrades, and he'll be able to blot out the parts of his psyche that make him human. No responsibility will really be levied at him. "It's war, damnit! Mistakes happen!" will be the rallying cry.
    Anyone remember our pilot, (Yes, I'm a yank, and yes, his {current pilot}actions are deplorable, let him stand up before some cameras NOW, before he's been told what to say and how to guard his emotions.), anyhow, remember our pilot who killed over 20 Italians on the gondola? Tried in a "military" court, and found not guilty of murder, etc, etc, oh yes, he did happen to either alter or try to alter the flight data, so we'll slap him on the wrist for that. No real penalty.
    You MUST understand the general principle:
    Neither the U.S. government, nor any of its attendant military branchings can really admit to error in judgement.
    When is the last time the U.S. government went beyond, "accident" to explain someone's actions?
    Since it's well-known that sociopaths can be anyone, what happens when one gets in a position where they have actual authority to kill, and the weapons are handed to him
    with a blessing? There have to be some on each side of the conflict, unless America has a monopoly on them.
    With over 100,000 troops in Iraq, I'm sure there is least one man drooling with the anticipation of being able to actually kill someone. (And not in the context of the war) Legally! In the right circumstances, he might even get a commendation!
    I recall the interview years ago, televised, with a teenager, face hidden, which had the teenager explaining why he killed over and over. His response went something like, (and I'm going on recall only, so I'm paraphrasing, but the general idea is valid),
    "When it happened the first time...it was just unbelievable...
    and it just built from there. The power...you've got the power...over life. And you can end it. Once you do it...the
    high is just more intense than any drug...and you just need to...again...'cause it's just so intense. And the need gets stronger, cause it gets more intense."
    So. Brings it all back to consequences.
    Our country will not allow this soldier to face the actual consequences of what he did. He may be punished...but he'll be shown the hate mail...he'll be shown the people angry at him...he'll learn that it "wasn't really his fault", even if he happened to be dreaming of an opportunity such as this, (I am NOT saying he was), and that's the American way.
    I'm not proud of it.
    I didn't make it so, nor would I have made it so.
    I close with a quote from Frank Herbert.

"The trouble with some kinds of warfare (and be certain the Tyrant knew this, because it is implicit in his lesson) is that they destroy all moral decency in susceptible types. Warfare of these kinds will dump the destroyed survivors back into an innocent population that is incapable if even imagining what such returned soldiers might do."
    Teachings of the Golden Path

This is from page 71 of "Heretics of Dune"

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    p.s.-Even with all the focus on immediate gratification of the senses, and with the adrenaline normally reserved for flight or fight responses being expended on video games B) and with the derision piled upon anyone who even dares question what spouts from t.v., especially "CABLE T.V., which equals God for veracity never mind the vast numbers of media channels and outlets and newspapers owned by just G.E and Disney alone
    2 of the big 3 networks, dozens of major cable networks, (History Channel, Discover, etc. etc )
    I will not leave this country, because I love it. I love the principles it was founded upon, or at least the ones put forth as the principles.
    But man...it is a big...big...big...fucking battle to get people to merely...educate themselves.
    Not with t.v.
    With their minds.
    Educated people know this simple thing.
    It is not what you claim you know that defines intelligence.
    It is the ability to ask the proper questions.
    If you're not taught to ask...you'll swalllow anything you're fed.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    I'm UK, and I am also getting a little tired of "blue on blue", personally I'd be shooting back!, I@m not certain but I have a nasty feeling that some of the US troops are National Guard, please prove me wrong if I am but I have friends in the NG, who are im Iraqu now!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123