Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Asia Quake

muchspl2
    I got some pics if anyone wants them.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    me?

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    muchspl2

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i think thats one of the least effected areas too

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    wow is an understatement (much's post w/ the pics)

@dave, it that's phuket, then ur wrong...cuz phuket was one of the worst hit.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKiler
    Yes, Tsunamis are created by earthquakes generating large waves. Or am I mistaking it witha water tornado..

Anyways, the one that will hit the eastern sea border of USA would be a land slide tsumnami, it's 100x stronger. What happens is a land slide occurrs and the water splits and generates an ENOURMOUS wave.
    That depends on your definition of Enormous wave, a land slider does'nt actually create a wave, it simply pushes a body of water, creating what is comonly know as a "Tidal push" or "Tidal surge", the "wave" is usually only 10-20ft if not smaller but it is much bigger front to back, a quake wave will be sucked down then forced out creating the movie style wave which goes up, some reaching 85ft when they hit land, closer to 150ft when hundreds of miles out to sea altho 150ft deep not necersarrily high.
    However both are destructive but the slider can to some degree be defended against by such things as sea walls and harbours, proper Tidal Waves as we know them cannot.

@Hobbes.... Yes I see your point, the plague if it broke out again can now be cleared up with simple prescription drugs, hence costing very little, or more to the point, we pay for our own cure.
    Things like sea defences and warning systems cost millions.
    There's a small village 5 miles from me which only line of defence is a huge shingle wall on the beach, about once every 8 years it is breached and the sea powers across the feilds towards houses and farms, 9 times out of 10 it will have backed down a bit by the time the breach happens. Only problem is now the council reckon it costs too much to rebuild everytime so they refuse to do it anymore, I predict 2 more big storms and the village will have no defence whatsoever, the storm after that will march across the beach and fields killing many farm animals and destroying a 500 y/o village.
    But we would'nt wanna take precious money away from the maintenance of roads etc

Jonno
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 12-27-2004 at 10:55 AM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I just heard on the news that the death toll is now over 21,000

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Over 23,500 now

Also a report on the news said
    "American sizemologists detected the quake but did'nt know who to contact to raise the alarm"
    That's what sky news said about 2 hours ago.
    This would be the problem, those who knew did'nt know what to do, those who should have known did'nt know so could do nothing.

How fecked up is that???

Jonno
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 12-27-2004 at 04:04 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    wow, a phone call away. thats crazy

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Fire Fox Fan
    23,500 man thats evil. And I hear the water level has risen by 10 meters there :|... Hate'd to see what'd happen if their was a earthquake tht was 10 or even surpassed 10 =|.

I wonder if the plates could move down, tht way we could sumhow prevent global flooding. Move a plate down and lower water height by a few meters

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast