Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobo bios chip screwed up?!?

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Quiet some time ago, I asked all around for a solution to a problem i was having (some of you may recall). I had an issue with the date in windows changing the year by itself and messing up my pc. Well, I replaced the bios battery, and updated the bios with a new one released by asus. Prior to the flash, my year in windows would change to 9999, now it will change to 10009, but the part that stays consistent is the bios clock....It resets to year 1999. I am assuming that the bios is screwed somehow. The last time it did it was yesterday. I was typing when all the sudden, my pc just froze. I immediatly looked at the clock in the bottom corner of windows, and it said 12-30-2004, then in a few moments, it said 12-30-10009. Even task manager couldnt shut the pc down after that, so i hard booted, looked at bios, and sure enough, the year had reset to 1999. Does windows talk back and forth with the bios clock? and if yes, can windows alter the bios clock? meaning, if i change the date in windows, will it also change the bios clock date? or is the bios clock READ ONLY?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Hmm, I can tell you this:

Setting your bios to "write protected" removes the possibility of any tampering from external running software I think. if that's what you are after

Otherwise i think it's possible.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ahhh, Im just trying to narrow down the problem to be either hardware or software. I lean more to hardware cuz i have never seen this happen on any computer, ever. Im thinking the BIOS clock is resetting, and when windows reads it, it freaks out.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Mabye not the Cmos or Battery, but the Bios update is faulty . Can you revert back to old bios ? I always save mine first . Asus has a bios update program , try that?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Which version of Windows are you using?
    Changes to the time/date in Windows are applied to the system clock and therefore the same time will be read by the BIOS.
    This sounds like virus/trojan activity to me, or possibly booby-trapped software that's detected a crack or blacklisted serial number.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    see, ive tried it with several different OS's. The one I am using now is legit XP pro.
    although i do use a few *less than legit programs*
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 01-01-2005 at 12:51 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³
    see, ive tried it with several different OS's. The one I am using now is legit XP pro.
    although i do use a few *less than legit programs*

eh too brutus ! Made make think of chewie's post . Bios virus?

Oh love the avatar ! Is n't that Stump the weiner dog?
    Last edited by peat moss; 01-01-2005 at 01:23 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    its lump from joe cartoon. BIOS virus, how could i check for that?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    eh too brutus ! Made make think of chewie's post . Bios virus?

Oh love the avatar ! Is n't that Stump the weiner dog?

i would have to say its the BIOS update,just as peat said.OR the EPROM was destroyed in someway during the BIOS flashing.In which case a new motherboard would have to be bought to fix the problem.Tell then adieu

P.S. its "Et Tu Brute" Peat.Just thought i might clear that up.
    We"Think TOO different"-Anton LaVey

Image Removed by RF: Too big and inappropriate

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Personally I don't think it is a problem with the BIOS.
    If the date had changed to 1999 in Windows then I could understand it but it didn't... I think that something/someone had changed the year to 10009 and when the computer was reset the BIOS couldn't cope with that so defaulted to 1999.
    Try going into BIOS and changing the year to 10009, just to see if the BIOS would support it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast