Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will bittorrent last

I remember when napster was big. Then came Kazaa then bittorrent, and a bunch of smaller things in between. I am wondering when people think the next thing will come along, or is it already here?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    Nothing lasts forever but I hope BT will be around for at least another 3-5 years.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    yeah, those ****ers are going after loki now....

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Retired
    Bittorrent will never be shut down because the program itself isnt illegal!!

Its the trackers that are shut down by the RIAA / MPAA
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 01-03-2005 at 08:59 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    Good point!

I stand corrected.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    razorsharp013's Avatar Fountain of Wit
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}

Its the trackers that are shut down by the RIAA / MPAA
    Actually there is nothing wrong with the trackers either, or sharing files at all for hat matter. It's the sharing of copyrighted material on those trackers that is the problem.

HA!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Bittorrent is being used by a lot of companies to leggally get there stuff out there.

A lot of MMORPG's are using Bittorrent to get their games out (weighing in at 2gb each sometimes) and Linux also uses Bittorrent.

I think BT will be around for a long time as a cheap way of saving bandwidth for getting files distributed but as for the filesharing we all know and love I think it has had its moment and we will start to see a decline in sites and trackers offering copyrighted torrents.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    True but how long untill people see that public bittorent trackers and sites are baiting to the RIAA/MPAA how long untill theuser base starts moving away onto a better client or different way.
    Bittorrent is being used by a lot of companies to leggally get there stuff out there.

A lot of MMORPG's are using Bittorrent to get their games out (weighing in at 2gb each sometimes) and Linux also uses Bittorrent.

I think BT will be around for a long time as a cheap way of saving bandwidth for getting files distributed but as for the filesharing we all know and love I think it has had its moment and we will start to see a decline in sites and trackers offering copyrighted torrents.
    Iv never used BT to get a free legal thing such as MMORPG or some updates for a game (UT2004 had that pack of levels in a BT download) but i wonder if the speeds will be good. And the standard gamer who doesnt download illigally might not know about BT and how to work it so will search for a DDL.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 01-03-2005 at 11:03 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Iv never used BT to get a free legal thing such as MMORPG or some updates for a game (UT2004 had that pack of levels in a BT download) but i wonder if the speeds will be good. And the standard gamer who doesnt download illigally might not know about BT and how to work it so will search for a DDL.
    I downloaded Rhyzon at full speed on my connection the other day, the same when I grabbed Mandrake. Most gamers are pretty computer literate these days and even if they don't download illegally BT isn't that hard to pick up.

I am starting to see more BT options (along with direct links) for big files. People can still use direct links but I've started finding BT is the faster option in these cases.

Edit: And I'll tell you all this it's a lot better than using that fucking FilePlanet place.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 01-03-2005 at 11:16 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    I downloaded Rhyzon at full speed on my connection the other day, the same when I grabbed Mandrake. Most gamers are pretty computer literate these days and even if they don't download illegally BT isn't that hard to pick up.

I am starting to see more BT options (along with direct links) for big files. People can still use direct links but I've started finding BT is the faster option in these cases.

Edit: And I'll tell you all this it's a lot better than using that fucking FilePlanet place.

Iv always just grabbed the DDL in thinking that msot people wouldnt understand seeding and such so speeds would be poor. Next time i need a patch or some levels and such i'll give the BT link a go and compare speeds. Filelist sucks, ques and they cap you at 200kb/s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast