Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game is laggy...but why??

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    AMD Athlon xp 2100+ 1.7 ghz
    Have you looked into whther there's something a little bit faster that might fit your budget? I realise that shuttle won't let you kick up the fsb that much but..

Later shuttle models let you adjust your multiplier, maybe that's true with yours, and with say, a mobile 2500, you could get a bit more speed out of that machine without altering your fsb.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Have you looked into whther there's something a little bit faster that might fit your budget? I realise that shuttle won't let you kick up the fsb that much but..

Later shuttle models let you adjust your multiplier, maybe that's true with yours, and with say, a mobile 2500, you could get a bit more speed out of that machine without altering your fsb.

Your gettin past my knowledge base now.

I looked up fsb.

Stands for Front Side Bus, which denotes the speed at which your processor interacts with the components on the motherboard
    What's a mobile 2500? Is that as in, mobile 2500 processor instead of the xp 2100 that I currently have?

Sorry, I'm just not a hardware guy.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Oh dear.

You've got the fsb right. I see on the msinfo specs you just posted that you have a via 266 chip which may or may not work with a higher than 266 fsb, the fsb on your 2100 should be 266 (or rather 133*2) by default which means that that's the clockspeed of the interface between your processor and your motherboard.

FSB*Multiplier=clockspeed

The mobile xp2500 comes with an unlocked multiplier, unlike the desktop 2100 you currently own, i think, which means that if you have the option to change the multiplier in your bios you can set the clockspeed a bit higher than your current processor by altering the multiplier.

And it also runs at a lower voltage I think. Meaning it may run colder

The speed gain with a mobile might be worthwhile, assuming you don't go overboard and mess it up, and assuming it works with that model shuttle (requires that it's possible to change the multiplier in your bios).

Since you appear to be something of a beginner, however, you'd probably need the help of someone with a bit more experience to mount and configure a new processor setup.
    Last edited by Snee; 12-30-2004 at 09:14 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    What's a mobile 2500? Is that as in, mobile 2500 processor instead of the xp 2100 that I currently have?
    he means a laptop processor, yeah. often referred to as a "mobile" model. laptop and desktop processors have not always been totally interchangeable, but sometimes they are... and the possible benefits are that some mobile processors are slightly souped-up versions of older desktop processors, they don't generate as much heat as their desktop equivalents (which gives 'em more potential for overclocking when you slap a standard desktop heatsink/fan unit onto them), etc.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 12-30-2004 at 09:17 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Mine and a mate's PCs both experienced the same long lag problem with Far Cry.
    Both of us have Radeon 9200SE gfx cards.

Updated video drivers to Catalyst 04.9 - lag = gone.

Hope that helps.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Ill look into replacing the video card some more, maybe posting on Shuttles message board as well. Thx for the help though. I needed some other opinions. I post again if I do it soon.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    http://forums.sudhian.com/default.as...0Form%20Factor

This board is really good for sff, ie shuttle problems, you might benefit from having a look there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12