Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firewall & AntiVirus upgrade or not

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughfakefiles
    I have a three of them on the go.

Zone alarm

AVGfree 7

Sygate firewall.

Just to be sure as well i done the housecall online virus scan every once in a while as well.
    you shouldn't use mroe than one antivirus (with realtime enabled) or firewall...they could be conflicting with eachother and making it less secure.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Here's one for you.

I like to use a Spam bouncer program to bounce my dreaded spams.

I have used Mailwasher Free version for a couple of years and I am sure I get less spam that I would otherwise.

But since I installed AVG 7.00 the 2 programs do not seem to be compaptble and my machien crashes. So I have had to disable Mailwasher.

Does anyone know of a good spam bouncer that works with AVG ? and Zone Alarm ?

Its about time someone made a program to do all 3 jobs in one so there are no compatibilty problems.

Regards

Digby

Happy new year

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Ive been using AVG and Sygate for some time and very content.
    As for ZA I it acn be utter shit at times even though I used to like it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I recently installed Sygate Personal firewall 5.6 and my pc is running smoothly with it. It is much beetter than Zone Alarn 5.** series. As for antivirus i use AVG 7 free edition. It is really good. I havent had any problems with it so far.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I recently moved from Sygate PF to Look 'n' Stop w/Enhanced Rules Set. I "moved" from Sygate because of problems w/.msi files when attempting to upgrade to v5.6. Otherwise I would NOT have given up on Sygate. And I will go back to Sygate (.msi problem fixed) in a flash if LnS "trial" stops working. LnS gives me all stealth readings on all online tests, including Sygate's. But Look 'n' Stop uses only 25-50% of resources that Sygate does.

As for Avs. I'll freak for sure if my KAV personal 5.0.156 stops updating. lol. It is the best AV by millions of miles imho.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    nsane's Avatar .
    i have to go with sygate. small memory footprint, while still retaining a descent array of features

kerio is ok, seems like a firewall ZA would make if they had some sense smaked into em but it lacked some features i liked in sygate, so i uninstalled it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by digmen1
    Its about time someone made a program to do all 3 jobs in one so there are no compatibilty problems.
    not the greatest of ideas
    ever hear of NIS?
    piecing together a good security suite is, IMO, much better
    you get to use components that do the job the way you want/understand
    instead of being at the mercy of an "all-in-one"

take symantec/norton for example....
    the corp AV clients are great, but the firewalls, anti-spam, etc are shit (IMO)

PestPatrol pwns for anti-spy/adware
    AdMuncher pwns for popup removal
    Sygate pwns firewalls
    SAV/NAV Corp pwns AV apps

those are my two cents
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    ever hear of NIS?
    piecing together a good security suite is, IMO, much better

As I said whilst separate programs may be a good idea features-wise, there are often compatiblilty problems with them all having programs running in the background !

Just because Norton is SHIT (I agree) it does not mean that someone else could not make a good multi purpose utility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12