Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: New setup here

RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    I could have any (more expensive) one I wanted but is it the best choice?

The prices at the time were about:

3000+ $185
    3200+ $265
    3500+ $390
    3800+ $600
    FX over $1000

So you can see that for an extra 200+ speed increase you have to spend quite a difference in money. To me it wasn't worth it. I'm better saving my money and if I wait for prices to drop... I might even be able to buy the FX for a few hundred dollars later on.

And oh... 3000+ is plenty fast.

Not to mention we automaticlly had to replace our mainboards too, and they were almost as much as the processor ( socket 939 )

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    I could have any (more expensive) one I wanted but is it the best choice? In fact I could spend a whole lot more if I want to. I have the money. It's just a choice.

The prices at the time were about:

3000+ $185
    3200+ $265
    3500+ $390
    3800+ $600
    FX over $1000

So you can see that for an extra 200+ speed increase you have to spend quite a difference in money. To me it wasn't worth it. I'm better saving my money and if I wait for prices to drop... I might even be able to buy the FX for a few hundred dollars later on.

And oh... 3000+ is plenty fast.
    Just as long as it works fine for you, then its all good.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Btw. In reference to your previous comment about Asus... They also require a BIOS update to run the new 90nm CPUs.
    Sorry to stray from the topic a bit, but I had a question about this statement...

I just bought a Athlon 64 3500+ winchester with the 90nm for my ASUS A8V-Deluxe, I was wondering if I'll need to flash my BIOS before I'll be capable of booting, and if so, is it possible to do so without temporarily installing a floppy?
    Last edited by Damnatory; 04-23-2005 at 02:54 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory
    Sorry to stray from the topic a bit, but I had a question about this statement...

I just bought a Athlon 64 3500+ winchester with the 90nm for my ASUS A8V-Deluxe, I was wondering if I'll need to flash my BIOS before I'll be capable of booting, and if so, is it possible to do so without temporarily installing a floppy?
    I had no problems booting, just a problem recognizing the RAM. I didn't even bother with a floppy at all, just used the live update program to do it through windows

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    just used the live update program to do it through windows
    Does ASUS have this feature? Or is it a windows feature?

(I'm still using Win2k, but going to use the Retestrak XP Corp MegaDVD edition for system I'm building...)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    Does ASUS have this feature? Or is it a windows feature?

(I'm still using Win2k, but going to use the Retestrak XP Corp MegaDVD edition for system I'm building...)
    Damn, It's an MSI feature. Check on the website for your MB, If I'm not mistaken, the newer Asus boards have dual bios chips and you might have something similiar for your Mainboard

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    lynx's Avatar .
    Asus have an online bios update feature too.

But the Winchester's have been out long enough now, so the bios should support them straight from the box (my Abit board did, it even says 90nm on a sticker on the box) unless it has been sitting on the dealer's shelf for a while. You know what some of them are like, spend so much time OCing their systems they forget to rotate the stock.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Asus have an online bios update feature too.

But the Winchester's have been out long enough now, so the bios should support them straight from the box (my Abit board did, it even says 90nm on a sticker on the box) unless it has been sitting on the dealer's shelf for a while. You know what some of them are like, spend so much time OCing their systems they forget to rotate the stock.
    Thanks for checking that out Lynx, I was being lazy myself, had alot to do yesterday/last night

9. Software & Hardware   -   #59
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    unless it has been sitting on the dealer's shelf for a while. You know what some of them are like, spend so much time OCing their systems they forget to rotate the stock.
    Thought you could slide that by me, eh?
    So far, all of our boards have dealt with the 90nm Winnies just fine and as long as the RAM is 512 sticks it's been recognized as well.

1GB modules are another story.
    Yesterday's build (3000+ on a Chaintech board) would only recognize the RAM in slots 2 and 4.
    No real problem as he only(!!??) wanted 2GB, but as he had hinted that he might add more later, we tossed in two more sticks just to see what happened.
    Only showed as 2.75GB. No matter what order we installed.

Hope he doesn't decide to get more later.

On a side note...
    I've now used the nVidia 6200 "TurboCache" video cards on two builds with surprising results.
    Essentially, they are 6600GTs with the memory stripped off and they use system RAM.
    Works very well for a <$100 card and is a cheap way to get into PCI-Express, with room to upgrade later.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #60
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

It should boot with the older BIOS and once you do that you can see the BIOS rev. on the first black screens. With the revision number in hand, check ASUS web site to see if you need a new revision or not.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456