Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Problemo?

I noticed last night/early morning i was playing a game and i wa sgetting no sound. It was too late to fuck around with it so i didnt really think much of it. Yet today no games i play have sound and when i open winamp i get this error:

Helpo?
    Last edited by Peerzy; 01-04-2005 at 08:00 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    did you try rebooting?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    did you try rebooting?
    No why would that make a difference?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    it might be alot like when you can't delete or rename a file because windows sez it's in use.
    try it and see
    Last edited by Vargas; 01-04-2005 at 04:46 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Okay now bigo problemo, restarted pc and didnt watch it while it did (i fell asleep for about an hour) then i wake up and all my programs have the Do you want to close pops open, i click yes and pc restarted (it had already restarted the once i had told it) so i turned the pc back on and while loading up it got to the blue Win XP screen saying welcome user and sits there forever. I tried loading in safe mode and same issue. I tried 'last known good configuration' same . I need to save my data on C:/ at all possiblities as it has some important work and stuff on there.

Right now im making a new partion on a new hdd thats in there and wil attemp to install windows on it so i can backup my files and attempt to fix the problem from there.

Also i cannot do a Windows recovery job on it as i do not know the admin pass (and iv tried the usualls such as admin, user, James and so on)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Finnished making new partion and install Win XP on it so i'v backed up most of what i need onto a USB pen drive. Should i go ahead and format the fucked partion and reinstall windows there or find out admin pass and atempt recovery?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I must say,lovely move to restart.Now your main problem with what you had before you restared was that your direct sound,related to directx was corrputed somehow,either by you or another program.I can assure you,shit happens sometimes.Now the way you could have fixed this to begin with to at least have your system boot,was to reinstall the sound driver for your card,second reinstall directx,third make sure your sound card properties were setup correctly.And last but not least make sure the device set for "Playback" was configured properly.Well since you restarted,fell asleep,and restarted again.The reference driver to your audio was well corrputed,and now that you have reset your memory by restarting,it wount load.In all you have made a bad problem worst,sorry there my friend.Now to fix all this you dont need to format anything,if you have all i can say is good luck.I would try the Admin password if you can find it,even if you partition you can leave shit out.In any manner,hope shit works out now.Tell then adieu
    We"Think TOO different"-Anton LaVey

Image Removed by RF: Too big and inappropriate

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    you should split your drive into two partitions for things like this, i have my windows partitions where i installe everything, and my 2nd partition which is mapped to my documents, where i download everything and save all important stuff, so its easier to recover,

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i do, i have 2 phisical hdd's. This is how they are setup:

1)WINDOWS
    1)Games
    1)Movies
    1)Music
    1)Incoming
    2)Downloading
    2)New Windows

1=250gb
    2=160gb

So al i face to loose is my settings and stuff. I turned on my pc and left it loading windows and after 10minutes or so it aturly loaded. And my start bar isnt there (i use Object dock which usually hides the start bar) however my object dock isnt there either so i have no way of getting to my start menu or controll panel. Pushing the windows key doesnt work either. I can however browse all of my pc for about 5 minutes before a error which i have never seen pops up. It says something along the lines of:

File XX.YY has been terminated and therefor windows NT needs to restart you have 60 seconds before your pc will restart.

It then counts down and restarts (it also spends about 10minutes SAVING YOUR SETTINGS before closing.

My new windows partion boots up fine but i cannot use any of the programs or play any of the games that have beenb insztalled on my other partion ( i spose because of reg entries and stuff) So im left with one half working windows install and one totally working but with no settings and for some odd reason i cannot use the net on either of the installs. The net was working perfectly fine before this.

Im working on finding my admin pass so i can do a recovery windows install onto the fucked one but i somehow think it has something to do with maybe object dock or another program.

Also i cannot do system restore as i cannot access my control panel (anyone know how to without using the startbar)

Also how can i open paint without he startbar (ie wheres paint.exe) i have full access to view my pc's files but not the start bar. If i have paint i can give much better piccies and stuff.

I spose i don;t mind formatting my fucked windows its just i know i would never find all the fles to backup settings and i cannot get the netage to work which has pissed me off.

Need your advice, thankyou please!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    type: Control Panel into explorer address field
    %SystemRoot%\System32\mspaint.exe
    Last edited by Vargas; 01-05-2005 at 05:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast