Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before Broadband?

IS THER LIFE NETWEEN 56K AND BROADBAND OR DO WE HAVE TO SIGN UP 4 12 MONTHS TO GET A DECENT FAST SERVICE?

EVERYWHERE I LOOK FOR BROADBAND THEY WANT COMMITMENT, WELL I WANNA DROP THIS COUNTRY SOON N GO SPREAD SOME BASIC LOVIN ROUND THE WORLD!

PAY AS U GO BROADBAND OR WHATS THIS OTHER ADSL BUSINESS?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Well you don't say what country you're from but I reckon you're always gonna have to sign on the dotted line. If they're gonna go to the trouble of hooking you up they want to make sure you're not gonna ditch them after a month.

I'm gonna be stuck paying for three months of broadband when I won't even be living in the house it's connected to! It sucks

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    56k = turtle
    ADSL/CABLE = rabbit

Most of these high speed connections require expensive equipment like modems and networking if you have more than one pc in your home. They want you to sign a contract, so that the consumer absorbs some of that initial cost.

I've been a broadband cable subscriber for 6 years now, and I'd never go back. Having a faster connection deeply enriches the internet experience. Your time spent on the computer is so much more effiecient.
    Proud member of MDS

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Jibbler@1 April 2003 - 02:25
    56k = turtle
    ADSL/CABLE = rabbit
    lol nice comparison

well actually most fast internet providers u sign up for give u the equipment for no charge if you stay w/ there plan for a year... if you don't then you will have to pay like 100 dollars or sumding for it... probably less

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    My problem is finding affordable Broadband that will actually service my area. There are two cable carriers that I have found with the right price, but I can't connect to 'cause I don't live 2 streets over.
    So for now : me = 56k = turtle

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    My problem is finding affordable Broadband that will actually service my area. There are two cable carriers that I have found with the right price, but I can't connect to 'cause I don't live 2 streets over.
    So for now : me = 56k = turtle
    same problem here!!
    i.ve i've been on line for years (56k)...(kill my own gran 4 broadband)but no coverage in my area...yet the next street over can all get ntl cable...ABSOLUTLY FUCKIN RIDICULOUS

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I am glad that there is no such thing as "pay as you go" broadband. I would end up downloading so much that my phone bill would be so long it would reach the Moon!

Check out the post titled "ADSL Broadband" by me in this forum. It discusses my need for a cheap modem etc.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BROCKSTER's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Jibbler@1 April 2003 - 02:25
    56k = turtle
    ADSL/CABLE = rabbit

Most of these high speed connections require expensive equipment like modems and networking if you have more than one pc in your home. They want you to sign a contract, so that the consumer absorbs some of that initial cost.

I've been a broadband cable subscriber for 6 years now, and I'd never go back. Having a faster connection deeply enriches the internet experience. Your time spent on the computer is so much more effiecient.
    i thoguht the turtle won the race

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    What are you going to go for? I personally think ADSL rules over Cable. Typical speeds are:

ADSL

Downstream: 512 Kbps
    Upstream: 256 Kbps

Cable

Upstream: 128 Kbps

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by AmarjitSingh@1 April 2003 - 12:51
    What are you going to go for? I personally think ADSL rules over Cable. Typical speeds are:

ADSL

Upstream: 256 Kbps

Cable

Upstream: 128 Kbps
    Don't know where you got that impression from, but cable is at least 3 times faster than that. I have yet to see a cable connection under 1.5 Mbps. As for me, I have a 3Mbps cable. Used to have 768Kbps DSL, which aint bad, but not quite the raw speed of cable. Upload is twice as fast too. 256Kbps up, which is supposed to be 384K but I don't care about that. It sure beats the 128K up i was getting from DSL. That has been my experience of Cable vs. DSL here in NYC.

As for the original post, be sure to explore ALL your options. Get the best deal suitable for your needs. Contracts have their advantages in terms of prices. Definitly get broadband if you can. Like Jibbler said, it completly enhances the online experience. There really is no turning back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast