Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making Startup Faster

Lord of the KLF
    sorry guys just a little q based on this i have used bootvis (works great btw) i have turned off most things at startup and i have also turned off any unneccessary services and i have defragged, i manage to boot and auto-login now in just under 1minute, on xp home.

however when i load up the bootscreen seems to be messed up it suddenly jumps to the left a bit and the loading animation freezes up, if this screens is currupted i assume that it will slow down my boot up speeds does anyone know how i can restore it without re-installing windows
    (oh btw the boot screen was doing this before i made any changes)

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    It is not working for me? I go to start menu then to run, then run program pops up and I typed "msconfig" and an error bos pops up? saying cannot find the file "msconfig"- I don't understand. I have windows 2000 if that helps. Please help me because i have sooo many programs in my start menu that i need to get rid of.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Originally posted by tkc204@1 April 2003 - 03:53
    You can make your computer startup faster if you

1. type msconfig in the run box in windows located in the start menu.

This is bound to be my fault, but when I tried typing msconfig in the run box in the start menu it said:

'cannot find the file 'msconfig' or (one of its components). make sure that the path and filename name is correct and that all required libraries are available'

What am I doing wrong? I would love to make my startup faster as mine is just ridiculous at the mo!

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    I forgot to mention that I hav windows 2000 too. I presume that this is an OS difference then and not all my fault!

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    that is the same problem i had- please if someone knows how to resolve this situation, please do. It will be greatly appreciated as i have 17 programs in my start menu.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Lord of the KLF
    try typing services.msc in the run field instead this may work and this is the best way anyway as you should never use msconfig to edit services anyway as this allows u to turn off services VITAL to your OS and therefore ur buggered whereas services.msc will not allow u to turn off services that are vital.

OK heres the thing guys i have done everything mentioned in this thread and im using xp's hibernate mode so when i turn on my puter it loads up and auto logs in and restores all the apps i was running before hand in under 20seconds, anything else i could do? i have become obsessed with speeding up my boot-up, at the moment i am trying to use a hacked xp kernel and that helped a bit but not much

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Lord of the KLF
    no its BOOTVIS that works great - get it from microsoft's and click optimize and it does all that u just mentioned that perfvis does, i think i know the name of the app im running and i run bootvis optimise my system then turn off the services that it requires again cos u only need to optimise about once a week to get full speeds

8. File Sharing   -   #18

Cheers for the tip Razz. I've had a quick peek but to be honest this is way out of my league. I thought it might be a bit more obvious as to what I wanted to close and what I don't. Msconfig seemed much more simple. I've got so much on automatic start up and I'm a bit worried I might do some serious damage.

What if I stop something from starting that I need and I can't find it (or don't know to do it) to start manually?

I'm still a bit of a computer numpty so unless someone feels like they've got the time to babysit me through this then I think deal with a slow start up.

Thank you again

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Lord of the KLF
    go to http://www.blackviper.com for a great guide to which services u can disable and great ways of speeding up ur computer, its mainly a step by step guide

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Lord of the KLF
    and i a service is set to manual that means it will start once a program needs it wheras on automatic it start on startup so u dont really have to know where to start all the services but as i said have a look at blackvipers guide on services

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast