Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Making Startup Faster

I have run into this problem on several windows 2000 and xp computers where it can not find the msconfig.exe file. You can download a copy of this file from here:

MSCONFIG

save a copy of it in your windows\system32 folder or your windows folder and that will do the trick. Also if you want to know which tasks you can disable go to this web site and look up the program running to get info on it:

Answers that work.

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Thanks, firefox.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Poster
    If you choose to use system configuration utility as a startup manager make sure you do not disable remote procedure call under services. Since up to 40 other services report to RPC your computer will not boot up without it. This is the main reason not to use msconfig for this. Use services.msc instead as it will not allow this.
    Misconfig is intended as a troubleshooting tool to track down boot up problems. You lose this ability if used as a start up manager. A better plan is use Mike Lin's Control Panel for programs and services.msc for services.Blackviper has the best info. for services.
    My programs that auto. start are:
    • antivirus
    • zonealarm
    • update reg.
    • pow (popup blocker)

Of about 80 services listed:
    • 35 on automatic
    • 25 disabled
    • 20 manual

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    go to MSCONFIG and download a copy of the msconfig.exe file from there for your operation system and copy it to the windows folder, or it may be the windows\system32 folder.

That will do the trick. My pc has a copy in both folders

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    im 14 and knew bout this since i was 11 ..cmon folks haha im just playing with yall! well its true but if u didnt know then that cool! email me if you would like some more speed up tips
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    Go to the forum on this site look in tweaks for loads of XP tweaks for your system

http://www.ntfs.org

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234