Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAID on RH8

Surprised/Amazed

This has not been too fun ... I have an ECS 755-a Mobo lying spare with AMD 64bit Ticker and mem bout a gig i think so hey, in all sensible wisdom a Linux file server is in order. I bought a Maxtor 6Y160M0 hard drive for it (using one on another set-up and their a good price) Hooked it all up and fired in a RH8 distro (only one I can get my hands on at the moment , North Scotland aint computer shop heaven) and im lucky to get ISDN to work as far as thinkin of DSL! So cant DL either) anyway all seemed fine booted up mem was stll good after being bagged and boxed. Well at least till I seen the no harddisk found error when i got to partitioning I remembered the drive is SATA, To prove i got is to partition an old 30 gig drive on IDE and it worked but i paid for this SATA drive and seems like the better option for a server. So basicly any hints on how I can get it to see the SATA drive ? Many thanks guys and HAppy New Year( all be it a bit late )

System
    Mobo: Elitegroup 755-A
    NB Chipset: SiS755
    SB Chipset: SiS 964
    HardDrive: Maxtor 6Y160M0

Thanks again
    ~-~J~0~H~4~N~-~

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    triso's Avatar Member

Sick

Howdy!

AFAIK, SATA did not exist when RH8 was first released so there isn't much hope of it locating your drive without patching the kernel.

A better idea would be to download the latest free RH release, AKA: Fedora Core 3. This will use a version 2.6 kernel and it will support the latest hardware.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yeah thought this might happen. Thanks very much , I have read about patching the kernel to add support but thats way past me. Think Ill see what I can find in the way of magazine discs, if all else fails it will be a 64Kb/s download for me.
    Thanks again
    ~-~J~0~H~4~N~-~

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    you could always try abuntu, they will even post a disc out to you for free
    http://ubuntulinux.org/
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johannes001
    yeah thought this might happen. Thanks very much , I have read about patching the kernel to add support but thats way past me. Think Ill see what I can find in the way of magazine discs, if all else fails it will be a 64Kb/s download for me.
    Thanks again
    Look for this month's issue of Linux Magazine. It comes with the FC3 Dvd.

It should be easy to get hold of in Scotland.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-10-2005 at 09:54 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks mate. Well I have to work in town on saturday but theres only a small newsagent. Theres a bigger one in the next town so should be OK to get Linux Mag think thats the mag i got RH8 from.

BTW on another note i got a more powerful system i got XP pro on and its a 64bit machine. What is the best distro available for 64bit because hell XP doesnt take much advantage of it and really hard to get their 64bit XP ??

Thanks again J0H4N
    ~-~J~0~H~4~N~-~

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Just sent off for a Ubuntu disc thanks for the link Obiwan
    ~-~J~0~H~4~N~-~

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    have a look at the suse 9.2 mirror list make sure you grab the x86_64 version.

raid will also work since it uses the newer 2.6 kernel.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Altho' I do prefer suse, mandrake 10.1 also has support for 64 bit systems. And as it happens that will be the disc included in next month's linux magazine.

In case suse is too much to dl, I mean.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    LOL are you a sales rep for linux mag lol. Yeah thanks again. Im gonna go with the first distro i can get to and if and when i get holda suse (which seems prity recomended) or mandrake if i can get holda the mag and replace with that. I used to have a few systems on linux and was a main OS for a while but thats a few years back now so itll be good to see how things have changed
    No more questions this post lol but will be in the linux section more often now

J0H4N
    BTW downloading a OS is a bit heft for a 64Kb/s connection thx for the link anyway
    Last edited by johannes001; 01-11-2005 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Cant spell :)
    ~-~J~0~H~4~N~-~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast