Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage and it's supposed sanctity

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Before it gets raised this has nothing to do with gay marriage.

What is the sanctity of marriage?

On a thread in the lounge the subject was rasied because of a pregnancy out of wedlock.

But is that a reason for marriage?

To me the sanctity comes in a total package of love and loyalty between two people and the very thought of a "shotgun" marriage is demeaning to that theory.
    The idea of marriage is being eroded by the ease of divorce and the lack of seriousness by those that enter into it lightly.
    This is not an attack on divorce. People make mistakes and shouldn't have to pay with an unhappy unworkable marriage, i am purely pointing to those that do enter into the contract flippently.

A marriage is about the commitment between two people, not the ceromony or the officialness that goes with it. Two people that live out of wedlock for life and love each other, are loyal etc. etc. are more married than two that have the official version but don't have their hearts in it.

This isn't a total summation but a few thoughts on the subject.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    I agree, Vid. I think we live in a "disposable society"....probably not quite the words I'm lookingfor, but...
    People are disposable like garbage. I think alot of people don't really think through the seriousness of marraige and all it entails.
    The word "commitment" is terrifying to some people. That's a whole other issue..some of them marry without exploring what the fear is about, and some use it as an excuse.
    Shot-gun weddings are ridiculous, and unfortunately, not a thing of the past. Personally, I think...oops. we're pregnant is the worst reason for marraige Then there are those that think a baby will hold the marraige together...known as a "cement" baby. Another horrible idea.
    At this stage of life, I see marraige differently. I was married many years ago..divorced after 4 years. I'm engaged now..I am with the man I want to go through the rest of my life with...however, I see marraige as taking care of business too..such as pensions, social security, etc..I see it as a way to protect each other financially...and it would seem to me that one would want to know their partner would be OK if something happened to them.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    My hat's off to the both of you.

I'd not have guessed either of you felt quite as you apparently do, which means, of course, that if I want to weigh in, here, I'll have to come up with more.

'Til then, then...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    My hat's off to the both of you.

I'd not have guessed either of you felt quite as you apparently do, which means, of course, that if I want to weigh in, here, I'll have to come up with more.

'Til then, then...
    not sure exactly what to make of that but i await the "something more" with great antici.........................................................................................
    .....................................................................................pation

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    antici.........................................................................................
    .....................................................................................pation

Never took you for a Rocky fan

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced

Never took you for a Rocky fan
    i was trying to remember where that came from...... I did enjoy the film version...never seen it on stage and am not a big fan, however that particular line seemed to have stuck

At jpaul...don't take everything so litteral. Terms and usage of words change over time and society uses them in more than the original purest form.

Howevery if you wish to be such a purest, and you are within your rights to be so, then please take the meaning of the thread as is is intended and ignore the 450 B.C. dictionary definition.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Well, what is sanctity to you? I get tired of hearing that God has to be in everything.
    To me, love is sacred..period. How you define the word sacred is up to you..if you see it purely in the religious context...well there are many "religions" or beliefs that people are devoted to, and that religion might not even be recognized by some...including no religious belief at all.
    I reiterate..love is sacred in and of itself. Let go of the biblical BS.
    Don't you think it's unfortunate that one only has certain rights as a married person? I think it's horrible.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I had started to explain that in order to communicate we must all use the same language, to avoid ambiguity and confusion. I then remembered that you would just get all precious about it and decided not to bother.

So I will just ask that you look up a more modern dictionary and establish what the word actually means, not what you think it means. We respond to what you say, not to what you think you said.

No matter what you, or anyone else thinks, the actual words we use and how we use them is important in getting our intended meaning across. If there is confusion it is more often the fault of the author than the reader.
    you are still ten of the most boring people i know of

Edit: to humour you i decided to check a few "more modern" dictionaries...seems it is used in other than just religious term
    Last edited by vidcc; 01-05-2005 at 11:09 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Ruthie-

Anent your post and JPaul's; as he said re: the definitions of words-merely creating context for what you say (after you have said it) is not sufficient to change it's meaning, nor is an urge to denegrate the meaning of any particular word circa 450 B.C. (B.C.? check the origin of that, please), but you might explore the origins of the word sacred.

Have you bidden anyone Goodbye, today?

Check that one, too.

BTW-Why are you so willing to give up the ghost over the word sanctify?

Don't you like it?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I think this (possibly misguided) thread title sums up my feelings about marriage.

If I've taken JP's post at it's intended meaning, which I think I have, then sanctity relates to a religeous ethos. I am not religeous so I have no use for the sanctity of marriage.

I see marriage, among other things, as a declaration to the world that you and your partner love each other and that you wish to spend the rest of your life in a monogamous relationship with that person. I also have no use for this. So long as the lady I've chosen to spend my life with knows this fact, I could care not one jot about what others think, provided she is satisfied with the commitment I have made to her everything is fine.

The vows that are exchanged can be implicit in a relationship without the necessity of a legal contract. One can be aware of obligations that yourself and your partner choose to have have toward each other, and honour them. A legal contract to enforce this is not a prerequsite.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast