Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Urgent Help Please, Windows Install fucked...

Well i booted it up and it mounted and i could view my files on my usb Fat drive all nice and cool, it also showed 1 hdd on the destop (not sure whcih one, my okay 20gb with windows or the fucked one) but alas i couldnt mount it. And the ntfs wizard needed files that MS wouldnt let me download.

EDIT: Anyone know anything about the Master Boot record? I went into a shop and told the guy that my pc wouldnt boot and he jumped in right away and said it was my master boot record and it would be 1-2 hours word and cost £60 , he didnt even give me chance to explain the situation properly so im not sure if he's talkng bullshit to get my money.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 01-10-2005 at 08:25 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    If it shows up on the desktop all you should have to do is double click it, worked fine for me.

It should work fine in read only.

EDit: I think it sounds like your partitions may indeed be corrupted, and yeah, the mbr may be too. The xp disc lets you do fix mbr or fixboot, or whatever it is, it didn't work very well for me tho'.

I had some other rescue tools a while ago which I got for someone else, winternal or systernal's disc I think it was, dunno' how good it is.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-10-2005 at 08:45 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    If it shows up on the desktop all you should have to do is double click it, worked fine for me.

It should work fine in read only.

Yeah its there, and i double click and it gives an error saying cannot mount

Anyone know anything about the Master Boot record? I went into a shop and told the guy that my pc wouldnt boot and he jumped in right away and said it was my master boot record and it would be 1-2 hours word and cost £60 , he didnt even give me chance to explain the situation properly so im not sure if he's talkng bullshit to get my money.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #44
    Right i don't give a shit anymore, either way this isnt gonna get sorted soon enough, so i might as well face the shit and start re-doing my project and other files. Anyone know a way i can kill these discs so they ar elike brand new. Right now i can't find anything that will read them so i can not format them :fuckingpissedoff:

Gonna try some boot cd's and such....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #45
    I'm sorry I couldn't help, if they work the same in your other 'puter too, I'm stumped. I tried looking around here http://www.ntfs.com/ but there was really nothing new.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I'm sorry I couldn't help, if they work the same in your other 'puter too, I'm stumped. I tried looking around here http://www.ntfs.com/ but there was really nothing new.
    Thanks for all the help yeah same on the other computer, still refused to boot. I don't care about the data any more, it can over time be replace, Over 400gb worth of hdd from my wallet will not be so easly replaced, especially as in close to broke.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #47
    Well, if it's only the mbr and the partition table that are busted, it should still be possible to remove the partition(s) altogether, I think. Even the xp disc should be able to do that, at least I think so as it worked for me. (then you can just make a new partition.)

But it'll be harder to recover any files.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-10-2005 at 09:25 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #48
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Maybe give teh shop man a whirl?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Maybe give teh shop man a whirl?
    No money, all that xmas bud is catching up , plus i just told him the pc wouldnt boot and i couldnt get windows to work and he started talking about stuff iv never heard of before, saying it would take him ages and would cost me alot

10. Software & Hardware   -   #50
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Well tried taking out both drives and put them one at a time into my working pc and both times it caused my pc to refuse to boot. So iv done as VB1234 susgested, so im on my new pc, on a 20gb hdd with a brand new windows install. Im using Norton Ghost to create an image so hopefully i won't have to conintually make 100's of installs and do all that bullshit.

I'll put my hdd's into the new pc soon but as my old pc refused the boot with them in (i tried both drives on master and slave and even tried a brand new ide cable.)
    Sorry but what you say is very unclear to me.

You say you did as I suggested? Could you "see" the data on the drive?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast