Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Urgent Help Please, Windows Install fucked...

I am so fucking close to killing this pc now. Was all gravy untill i rebooted, then it refused to boot. So i did a repair install and noW it says System did not finnish installing. And the partion table has been fucked with. Meaning no partion tool (iv tried 6) or the windows install disc (or my advent one for that matter) will partion it without deleting all of my partions on all hdd's.

Im having the fucking run Linux Live, iv got a fucking paper in for today (i'll just call sick tho) and i need to get to my fucking windows files (linux cannot read NTFS file systems)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    muchspl2
    fdisk is your friend

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl2
    fdisk is your friend

Tried, along with partion magic 8, and 5 other things. iv tried 3 different types of Fdisc as well. Its all on a boot disc i have. It has 99 usefull non windows tools but all of them show it fucked becuase of the partion table is messed. menaing i would loose 120gb of un burned dvdrs. 50 gb of movies, 40gb of music all my work and everything

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    If i can't boot i always use this method, and its worked everytime..so far
    (although you should have done the following methd Before repair installing.

Start your PC with the 6 XP install disks. which you can get here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...DisplayLang=en (choose Home or Pro) (its a pain in the ass method-six disks(make sure the floppies are formatted)

Select Repair ® option.
    Go to the DOS prompt.
    Now type "chkdsk /r" (space after Chkdsk without " ")and enter leave it to finish. Now restart by typing "exit" and press enter. It should work.

if it doesn't

Type chkdsk /p /r + enter. When check disk is finished, type fixmbr + enter.

If it doesnt - type "chkdsk /p" and enter. If it finishes. type "fixboot X:" (X being the drive letter windows is installed on, it's usually C, but sometimes it can be a virtual drive like E). Next press enter.

Finally type exit to restart. It should work.
    Good luck

In total disaster situations you will always be able to retrieve the files, even if you delete the partition or format the partition...whith ontrack easy recovery
    but seriously avoid this...
    Take your time - this is solvable
    Last edited by 100%; 01-10-2005 at 10:57 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    If i can't boot i always use this method, and its worked everytime..so far
    (although you should have done the following methd Before repair installing.

Good luck

In total disaster situations you will always be able to retrieve the files, even if you delete the partition or format the partition...whith ontrack easy recovery
    but seriously avoid this...
    Take your time - this is solvable
    I'll give that ago now. I wouldnt be so pissed off if i could just format C: and still have all my download and work data. As iv formatted 3 times in the last two days anyway (pc got a virus) However the C: partion has been formatted a few times and had data re-writen onto it. And the virii is gone.

I can setup windows again in a quick tiem i dont give a shit baout thats, its my work and my downloads i care about, as iv got a 13 page project thats in for today that needs finnishing.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BTW what do those commands going to do to my pc? Just so i know. Just formatted 6 discs and about to try.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    If you know exactly where your files are
    then it is always possible to copy thenm over to another partition.
    I suck at msdos so youll have to find the correct language
    but in this case i had to fix shell32.dll
    1. Boot to Recovery Console.(same method with the discs see above)

2 . type the following commands
    c:\ [enter]
    copy c:\windows\backup\SHELL32.DLL c:\windows\system32
    hit enter

3 Type EXIT and hit enter
    I think if you type for example
    C:\Documents and Settings\"yourusername"\My Documents
    then type expand itll show everything listed there
    so iguess you could transfer everything from my docs to lets say partition G:\ or even to your floppy A:\
    but with the size of files you want to copy....but maybe you could atleast extract the vital small ones for now

this msdos is tricky...im sure there is another simpler way.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    BTW what do those commands going to do to my pc? Just so i know. Just formatted 6 discs and about to try.
    Its completly safe, they scan for errors, and fix errors, if it works, your boot will be set to default settings, and you may loose some tweaks you may have done -
    see this link - Recovery Consolehttp://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...eCon_Tools.asp

Chkdsk

Creates and displays a status report for the disk. The chkdsk command also lists and corrects errors on the disk.

The chkdsk command with the parameters listed below is only available when you are using the Recovery Console The chkdsk command with different parameters is available from the command prompt.

chkdsk [drive:] [/p] [/r]

Parameters

none

Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive.
    drive:
    Specifies the drive that you want chkdsk to check.

/p

Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk to run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

/r

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Implies /p.
    Last edited by 100%; 01-10-2005 at 11:37 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Okay but i think the thing that is wrong with them is the partion table ( a little table that shows where each partion and file starts and ends) In partion magic i cannot do anything with my first hdd becuase it says partion table is fucked.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast