Thread: spyware or not?

sammie_m_127

Surprised/Amazed

I have a friend who just had her computer cleaned up by a computer guru (or so she says.). She says that he told her that no matter what the hype says, kazaa lite will still load your computer with spyware, adware, and malware and that it goes right to the registry so it does not show up on anti-spyware programs. Is this true?

2. File Sharing   -   #2

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    muchspl2
    just not true, although I don't recommend it because of all the fake files and with such better p2ps I must defend it that kazaa lite official witch ended with version 2.4.3 DOES NOT contain ANY spy wear/maleware/ are anything I group together as scumwear
    she is confused with KMD are the original kazaa (KMD=kazaa desktop media)
    has spywear and that how they make money, thats where the old site came in
    random nut and a few others removed and added a few options to improve the old kazaa.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    actually i think the poster is refering to how kazaa and lite update the supernode list and keep search history in the registry when you run them. i've read "security experts" whine about that. i'm sure thats what your friend read, either that or the sig2dat settings
    Last edited by Vargas; 01-11-2005 at 03:28 AM.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    muchspl2
    their is no spywear loaded that programs can't fix, that stupid for her to think it loads such high tech scumwear that all the scanners can't find it.
    doesn't make sense and just isn't true no matter what the interpretation.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    My wife insists on keeping Klite , BS to the spyware , I would of dumped it a long time ago.
    Last edited by peat moss; 01-13-2005 at 04:38 AM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P

Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by sammie_m_127
    I have a friend who just had her computer cleaned up by a computer guru (or so she says.). She says that he told her that no matter what the hype says, kazaa lite will still load your computer with spyware, adware, and malware and that it goes right to the registry so it does not show up on anti-spyware programs. Is this true?

Hello!

Your friend's friend is missinformed as was so many others in the past. This was the result of a article on Cnet(if I remember correctly might have been someplace also) that claimed that Kazaa Lite contained Spyware just as regular Kazaa media desktop the argument by the so called expert was that the spyware was neccessary for the source code to function properly so the conclusion was that Kazaa Lite also must contain it. And this was then confirmed by some users who installed Kazaa Lite and then found out that their anti spyware solution mostly Ad Aware seemed to confirm that because it showed up some hits for some shit just like for regular Kazaa. Little did they know the so called experts that the Russian developer behind the cracked or modified Kazaa version Kazaa Lite had just made dummy versions of the Spyware that contained no executable parts and was totally harmless. Later versions of Ad-Aware and SpyBot Search & Destroy no longer report these dummy versions as spyware because they are not!.

So there you have it Kazaa Lite is harmless no spyware shit is installed but make sure you get the proper version from trusted source!!!

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    And a trusted source is http://www.nsane.tk
    blah blah blah... whatever...