Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What type of Forum Member are you?

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Who am I?
    It's ok, be honest.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Tis disturbing indeed. I think I will refrain from identifying myself.

Although there are a couple I wouldn't mind being, I suspect I might fall into a category less comfortable for teh ego.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    Who am I?
    It's ok, be honest.
    I imagine you to be rather more aesthetically pleasing than the chap in the pic ... but you're a bit like him
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I imagine you to be rather more aesthetically pleasing than the chap in the pic ... but you're a bit like him
    way off.
    My hat is orange and green.

jk.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    As a "member" of (forum) "discussion groups" as they call it, i am also interested in the actual "concept" of a forum and am trying to understand the absurdity of this social "need" which i have found myself leaning towards.
    It is strange and fascinating how one "charectirizes" members by there responses , their avatar and other info (sigs etc)
    yet in the end all there is are "words"
    I too wonder about this.

It's much easier to log onto a forum and chat with many people to enthrall - or not - at their viewpoints, rather than organise a night with many RL friends. It's not really a substitute but is still a valid form of social intraction, and we all need/crave that.

Althought we only see words, it doesnt require a great leap to imagine the person typing them and when a member posts a pic of some small part of their life it can be quite an event. The written medium being the default accentuates this.

All in all, forum dwelling provides a refreshing and entertaining change to what society deems 'real life'.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Cyber Sisters are an extremely fierce confederation of fighting females who act something like a shrill Greek chorus, echoing and amplifying one another's voice until their foes retreat in disarray. They are generally leaderless, but anyone who challenges one Cyber Sister can expect to be savagely attacked by the others. Only the most powerful and battle-hardened of Warriors is strong enough to weather a Cyber Sisters attack.
    Not sure who I'm thinking of here... :mockinnocence:

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Im scared to ask...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I too wonder about this.

It's much easier to log onto a forum and chat with many people to enthrall - or not - at their viewpoints, rather than organise a night with many RL friends. It's not really a substitute but is still a valid form of social intraction, and we all need/crave that.

Althought we only see words, it doesnt require a great leap to imagine the person typing them and when a member posts a pic of some small part of their life it can be quite an event. The written medium being the default accentuates this.

All in all, forum dwelling provides a refreshing and entertaining change to what society deems 'real life'.
    I use it as a place to talk about computers originally.
    Now it's just a habit.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    It's a habit for me as well.

I might not post too regulary, so it's more of a lurking habit I fear

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    heh heh. i hadn't looked at that site in a while. some of the descriptions are really well-written. i perused most of them, trying to figure out where "libertarian" fits in... 'cause i was just reading a libertarian rant in some forum via google, and it reminded me that they always sound like nutters who've been translated into a completely alien language and then translated back into english. the grammar is correct but the words are all assigned new definitions, or they've made up a bunch of new words that sound similar to existing words.

the site had 'em listed among trogs, but i think the hardcore 'tarians are really more strange than that. they deserve to be placed in a social category alongside scientologists and other culties for all the proselytizing and long-winded introductions to their particular brands of lunacy (i.e. "i will now give you a treatise on engrams/coercivists/UFOs/etc in order to prepare you for communication with me"). and language-mangling. the way cults tend to devise almost a whole new vocab so that the ideas behind the vocabulary remain murky until you're initiated into their group. if a guy is such a freethinker, why is he standing in a group with 20 other guys who all sort of look & think similar to himself and all share an affinity for over-using the word "freethinker" to describe their subscription to the same beliefs?

"i see by your beliefs that you are a freethinker."
    "i see by your nearly identical beliefs that you're a freethinker, too."

edit: as for which of those forum characters suits me best... i dunno, for sure. i thought i was a little of this, a little of that. sometimes i'm in the mood to answer questions and dole out advice, sometimes i want to seriously argue about whatever topics, sometimes i just want to throw in a joke or a brief comment/reference and go back to lurking for a while. my sparring tactics prolly correspond to whatever discussion mode i was in before the argument started. that prolly describes a lot of people though. some days they're mature(-ish), some days they're big fuggin' crybabies, some days you couldn't goad 'em into a fight no matter how hard you try.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 01-12-2005 at 01:09 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast