Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search for Banned Arms In Iraq Ended Last Month

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    The search for the weapons has ended. It's about time they stopped wasting time and money, since many of us knew this was a charade from the beginning.

I am sick of hearing that the world is better off without Saddam. As if that should be enough to excuse the behavior of our country. The continuous policy of this administration has been to rationalize everything they do and give some other reasoning as to why whatever they do is "right".

The bigger problem is that Bush and his cronies knew the WMD charges weren't true. They used fear to manipulate the general population into backing an illegal war. What happens now in the trial Saddam faces? What can he possibly be charged with? How nice for Bush that he holds himself immune and unaccountable for his actions. I think trying Saddam is a moot point at this stage of the game.

Let us not forget the most extreme results of the Bush administration's policies. Dead troops, tortured Iraqi's, dead civilians, remainders of Iraqi cities (as well as tattered lives), money spent, etc.

Once again, I would like to see a call for impeachment. There are more then enough reasons to dethrone Bush.

Search for Banned Arms In Iraq Ended Last Month
    Critical September Report to Be Final Word

By Dafna Linzer
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, January 12, 2005; Page A01

The hunt for biological, chemical and nuclear weapons in Iraq has come to an end nearly two years after President Bush ordered U.S. troops to disarm Saddam Hussein. The top CIA weapons hunter is home, and analysts are back at Langley.

In interviews, officials who served with the Iraq Survey Group (ISG) said the violence in Iraq, coupled with a lack of new information, led them to fold up the effort shortly before Christmas.

Four months after Charles A. Duelfer, who led the weapons hunt in 2004, submitted an interim report to Congress that contradicted nearly every prewar assertion about Iraq made by top Bush administration officials, a senior intelligence official said the findings will stand as the ISG's final conclusions and will be published this spring.

President Bush, Vice President Cheney and other top administration officials asserted before the U.S. invasion in March 2003 that Iraq was reconstituting its nuclear weapons program, had chemical and biological weapons, and maintained links to al Qaeda affiliates to whom it might give such weapons to use against the United States.

Bush has expressed disappointment that no weapons or weapons programs were found, but the White House has been reluctant to call off the hunt, holding out the possibility that weapons were moved out of Iraq before the war or are well hidden somewhere inside the country. But the intelligence official said that possibility is very small.

Duelfer is back in Washington, finishing some addenda to his September report before it is reprinted.

"There's no particular news in them, just some odds and ends," the intelligence official said. The Government Printing Office will publish it in book form, the official said.

The CIA declined to authorize any official involved in the weapons search to speak on the record for this story. The intelligence official offered an authoritative account of the status of the hunt on the condition of anonymity. The agency did confirm that Duelfer is wrapping up his work and will not be replaced in Baghdad.

The ISG, established to search for weapons but now enmeshed in counterinsurgency work, remains under Pentagon command and is being led by Marine Corps Brig. Gen. Joseph McMenamin.

Intelligence officials said there is little left for the ISG to investigate because Duelfer's last report answered as many outstanding questions as possible. The ISG has interviewed every person it could find connected to programs that ended more than 10 years ago, and every suspected site within Iraq has been fully searched, or stripped bare by insurgents and thieves, according to several people involved in the weapons hunt.

Satellite photos show that entire facilities have been dismantled, possibly by scrap dealers who sold off parts and equipment to buyers around the world.

"The September 30 report is really pretty much the picture," the intelligence official said.

"We've talked to so many people that someone would have said something. We received nothing that contradicts the picture we've put forward. It's possible there is a supply someplace, but what is much more likely is that [as time goes by] we will find a greater substantiation of the picture that we've already put forward."

Congress allotted hundreds of millions of dollars for the weapons hunt, and there has been no public accounting of the money. A spokesman for the Pentagon's Defense Intelligence Agency said the entire budget and the expenditures would remain classified.

Several hundred military translators and document experts will continue to sift through millions of pages of documents on paper and computer media sitting in a storeroom on a U.S. military base in Qatar.

But their work is focused on material that could support possible war crimes charges or shed light on the fate of Capt. Michael Scott Speicher, a Navy pilot who was shot down in an F/A-18 fighter over central Iraq on Jan. 17, 1991, the opening night of the Persian Gulf War. Although he was initially reported as killed in action, Speicher's status was changed to missing after evidence emerged that he had ejected alive from his aircraft.

The work on documents is not connected to weapons of mass destruction, officials said, and a small group of Iraqi scientists still in U.S. military custody are not being held in connection with weapons investigations, either.

Three people involved with the ISG said the weapons teams made several pleas to the Pentagon to release the scientists, who have been interviewed extensively. All three officials specifically mentioned Gen. Amir Saadi, who was a liaison between Hussein's government and U.N. inspectors; Rihab Taha, a biologist nicknamed "Dr. Germ" years ago by U.N. inspectors; her husband, Amir Rashid, the former oil minister; and Huda Amash, a biologist whose extensive dealings with U.N. inspectors earned her the nickname "Mrs. Anthrax."

None of the scientists has been involved in weapons programs since the 1991 Gulf War, the ISG determined more than a year ago, and all have cooperated with investigators despite nearly two years of jail time without charges. U.S. officials previously said they were being held because their denials of ongoing weapons programs were presumed to be lies; now, they say the scientists are being held in connection with the possible war crimes trials of Iraqis.

It has been more than a year since any Iraqi scientist was arrested in connection with weapons of mass destruction. Many of those questioned and cleared have since left Iraq, one senior official said, acknowledging for the first time that the "brain drain" that has long been feared "is well underway."

"A lot of it is because of the kidnapping industry" in Iraq, the official said. The State Department has been trying to implement programs designed to keep Iraqi scientists from seeking weapons-related work in neighboring countries, such as Syria and Iran.

Since March 2003, nearly a dozen people working for or with the weapons hunt have lost their lives to the insurgency. The most recent deaths came in November, when Duelfer's convoy was attacked during a routine mission around Baghdad and two of his bodyguards were killed.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I agree with you on a few things and disagree on some others.

The idea that the "world" is better off without Saddam has always seemed silly to me. This is because even though he was a ruthless dictator he did actually have control and as distasteful as that control was it did mean that the "world" benefitted from a stability that although I genuinely hope i am wrong, I can't forsee happening again for a long time.
    Certainly a great deal of Iraqis are better off without Saddam, but then i wonder if that will be held true if the predicted civil war becomes reality.

With this in mind Saddam as far as i am aware has a case of domestic torture, genocide etc. over his head, which i believe he is guilty of if the evedence i have at hand turns out to be accurate, so i have to disagree that there is no reason for his detention.

just a short view and doesn't cover everything

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    I agree, to a point, Vid. The problem here is the US arranging all of this...the Iraqi's are not truly in charge. This is problematic because we have armed Saddam in the past, and told him "we wouldn't do anything" for some of his actions.
    The whole situation with Iraq is so awful at this point, and I don't suggest that I have any answers here either..I do think it would help for the US, as occupiers to get out of there, and some kind of "neutral" parties inthere to help.
    Bottom line is..we had no right or reason to go there. Certainly not for the bullshit reasons Bush gave. Then again, that is no surprise.

anywhichway

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai
    I find this particularly disgusting..""Based on what we know today, the president would have taken the same action because this is about protecting the American people," said Press Secretary Scott McClellan. "

And this war protected us how? What a piece of garbage.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    What shocked me was this quote...

"I felt like we'd find weapons of mass destruction — like many here in the United States, many around the world," Bush said in the interview, to be broadcast Friday night. "We need to find out what went wrong in the intelligence gathering. ... Saddam was dangerous and the world is safer without him in power."

Crazy. He was adament there were WMD's there. He didn't say anything about that it might be.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Th phrase WMD causes Mr Blair to grimace and shudder.

"Least said soonest mended is" I think his position on this one.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I guess there's no possibility now that I was wrong about this.

(I really, really wanted to be wrong about this.)

But we are safer, right? Some good came out of the war. Democracy's spreading, so we got that going for us...

right?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Th phrase WMD causes Mr Blair to grimace and shudder.

"Least said soonest mended is" I think his position on this one.
    He's still sending more Troops though..

Highland Fusileers are being sent now I think

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Well, here we are two years later and finally the realisation that those of us who argued against the war at the time have been proved right.

l haven't been here for 18 months, this place is very different, although some of the old faces are still here, and still espousing the same old lines l see.

A bunch of us argued at the start of this debacle that Bush should have waited before invading to see what the inspectors had to say. We knew the inspectors had found nothing, and that their report would say as much, we also knew Bush had rushed in before his excuses for doing so had dried up.

l remember J2K4 arguing the party line, telling us the US went in to rid the country of WMDs, that Saddam harboured terrorists, that Bush was the all American hero, etc., etc..

So two years have passed, another 100,000 or so people have been killed, Iraq is on the brink of civil war, US body bags are creeping ever upwards, getting close to 1500 now; and all for a lie.

On top of all this we have had the US acting like the enemy they tell us they are fighting, abusing prisoners in Iraq and Cuba, denying people their basic human rights, holding them for years without trial.

They also tell us they have brought democracy to Afghanistan, when here we are, three years later and even the Taliban are back.

Anyone who can't see that Bush and his cronies have been an absolute disaster needs to take their blinkers off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast