Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to deal with leechers?

worldpease's Avatar always annoying
    From what I know so far, leechers afect the way and speed we download something (specificaly talking about bittorrent), so, is there a way to deal with them?, to minimise, if not eliminate, this factor in our downloads?, in fact, how do they afect us? do they afect us as a comunity, or in every individual or sigle download?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Hello!

It is up to the Trackers admins to keep track of the Seeders/Leechers ratio you should not bother!!. Infact some leechers is neccessary because without them you would not get a good ratio as a seeder. Leechers also provide extra bandwidth on individual torrents during the download process so lots of Leechers and also many seeders on the same Torrent is a good thing you get superspeed then!!. And also dont thrust stats for individual torrent downloads. The Tracker often report incorrect stats on individual Torrents for individual Seeders/Leechers due to to much traffic!!.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Yeah don't bother theres nothing you can do...

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I don't know about BitTorrent, but I'm sure there's a mod out that could ban them or something.

When I use WinMX, I also start another program that tells me exactly what other users are doing with regards to my files.

If they're not sharing anything, or less than 20 files I'll ban them.
    If they're not sharing anything between 20-40 items then they get cancelled.

If they don't have at least 1 upload slot available, they get banned.

I'll post my current statistics if anyone's interested.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5

from previous post.

try looking for mods/

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Hello!

Why are you showing WinMX??

This is the BitTorrent section so he most be using BT

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren
    Hello!

Why are you showing WinMX??

This is the BitTorrent section so he most be using BT
    Obviously. I was trying to portray to him that there has to be mods out for the program, and that they do work, hence the pics.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Well, there is one thing you can do. If your on Soulseek or somethin, you can right click someone name that's downloading from you, and click, 'browse users files'. If it comes up, 'user not sharing any files', the CUT 'EM OFF!!!

yo

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    got that in winmx too, but the mod i got does it automatically, but yea it's pretty much what it does. scan the user and boots em to death if they're leeching

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    As long as there are people who share their files, there will be leechers.

It's the law of filesharing.

If you seed a file then others leech it, subsequently they might share it but then someone else leeches off them and so on. Sometimes the chain is only broken when no-one wants to download the file anymore, meaning that the end guy is deemed a leecher, even if he wanted to share.

There absolutely has to be leechers on any filesharing network.

Excessive and repeated leeching is another thing. Admins of private BT trackers can be quite adept at dealing with this within the confines of their own site by monitoring ratios but on other networks you simply don't know whether the leecher downloading off you is an excessive leecher or not. He or she might not be sharing on that particular client because he/she is super-seeding a latest release at Elite-Torrents (or whatever) and need all their upload for that. They also may have left their upload open for an entire day and uploaded 2 gigs just before they started leeching off you.

You just don't know so give 'em a break. It's all good karma anyway
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast