Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: evolution sticker in textbook ruled unconstitutional

“This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things."
    Being a theory does not exempt something from being factual. As ilw pointed out, Quantum Theory is still regarded as a theory, and yet many of the things we take for granted today would not be here if it weren't for Quantum Mechanics, including the computers we are all using.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Could you explain this please, thank you.
    All semiconductor transistors work according to the principles of quantum mechanics. Without quantum mechanics it isn't possible to understand how a transistor works, and one certainly couldn't have been made. This in turn led to transistor radios, televisions, computers etc.

The laser beam is also a product of quantum mechanics, giving us CDs and DVDs among other things.

In the future we will see quantum computers that make what we see today seem positively archaic.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by UKResident
    All semiconductor transistors work according to the principles of quantum mechanics. Without quantum mechanics it isn't possible to understand how a transistor works, and one certainly couldn't have been made. This in turn led to transistor radios, televisions, computers etc.

The laser beam is also a product of quantum mechanics, giving us CDs and DVDs among other things.

In the future we will see quantum computers that make what we see today seem positively archaic.
    Most computers today make my one seem positively archaic
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa
    Surely all material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered???

Otherwise how would we ever expand our knowledge and understanding of the world around us?

Maybe we're not supposed to...
    Do you remember manny's old sig about open minds?

It went something along the lines of..."sometimes peoples minds are so open their brains fall out"
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:57 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    wait, all scientific discoveries were made after we understood them?

note to self: try and keep up dave

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I wanted to get Manny's answer before I continued, however that may take some time so l shall elaborate on the direction l am heading in.

I asked the question purely because of this
    I just wanted to see if it would make sense to him if it were the bible and the judge ruled against a sticker.
    However in the points that where raised by the question..

In thinking before l asked the question about if Manny would object to a sticker in the bible I didn't ignore the fact that evolution is taught in school and the Bible isn't. I just wanted to find out if Manny thinks it's ok to have such worded disclaimers for science but not for religious teachings.
    Hobbes made the point that one isn't graded on ones knowledge or understanding of the bible, yet one is on the subject of evolution. But what of Sunday school or private religious schools?
    The disclaimer sticker is on books used by minors and how many children actually have the choice to "not" attend Sunday school or a religious school if their parents wish them to do so?

State schools teach what is acceptably proven, however nobody in the scientific community (as far as l am aware) has said they know everything. At what stage do we say that we have enough evidence ? and will there ever be enough to say this is how it happened and have it accepted by those of faith ?

Disclaimer:
    The content of this post is purely a summation and doesn't cover every eventuality. This does in no way mean that the author has ignored any other possibility or is unaware of them.

I find it ironic that macro-evolution is being compared to a religion; because that's what it is; more then any scientific groundwork.

The "big bang theory" has misused the term "theory". it cannot be computed and hypothasized (sp?) like quantum mechanics can. I actually did not come across this until recently; being that state school has jackhammered the opposite in my head all the way from kindergarten books.

but; to the question.

Anyone can put any sticker they choose on any book. It is the fact that a Federal Judge has ruled the opposite that brings my attention. If a state school is teaching a world religion course and they want a sticker on a bible reminding readers to contemplate independently on the contents; then go ahead. A court should not have say on such matters.

of course many here favor an overstepping court system as long as it councides with their beliefs.

I have recently run into a professor who taught creationism. As a Bio major; I have always bought into the Gap Age theory (for a rough summery: Where there is a time gap in the bible where macro-evolution could have taken place.) This professor, though, came to debate a bio professor from my school, and I'll be damned, if he did not only hold his own, but, revamped some minds about the validity of creationism.

call me stupid, jaded, or just wrong; but before you do; look into what some creationists have to say.

(as barbarossa said; all material should be carefully considered.)

it is from this standpoint; that there is (in my mind) another valid theory in a pure scientific sense, that, keeps me from evolution only taught. If they teach something as enthreal as the big bang theory; then the same standard would show that creationism is at least as valid.

if I don't post for awhile, it doesn't mean I'm not reading; I just means time constraints.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:58 AM.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Maybe we should start a new thread to discuss this so called 'science' of creationism.

We could discuss the five great creation myths ..
    • Evolution has never been observed.
    • Evolution violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
    • There are no transitional fossils.
    • The theory of evolution says that life originated, and evolution proceeds, by random chance.
    • Evolution is only a theory; it hasn't been proved.

Anyone game?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    evolution has been observed. people are taller than they used to be

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDave
    evolution has been observed. people are taller than they used to be
    meh... you can't discount diet from that argument, peoples diets are so much better than they were, hence they grow more..

However, evolution HAS been observed, in moths during the industrial revolution around Manchester :

source: http://www.txtwriter.com/Backgrounde.../EVpage07.html

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    its been observed anyway

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast