Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zap?

zedaxax's Avatar ___________
    Source : http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/sparky.htm

The story is that the guy was high on drugs and decided to climb a power pylon with rather predictable results. The guy in the cherry picker is there to attempt to get him down.

In this first image he is shown near the top of the pylon and is reaching up to grab hold of the live cable

He grabs the wire and explodes in flames as the massive surge of current passes through his body. The wire can be seen snaking either due to the violent muscular contraction of the victim or the huge current pulse.

The exploded remains fall to earth in a shower of sparks.
    You're not going to believe this, but I subsequently learned that apparently the guy survived although I'm sure that he must have been missing a limb or two. It's debatable whether survival is a good option or not when you've passed as much current as this guy obviously did.....
    Last edited by zedaxax; 01-14-2005 at 12:29 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    That idiot deserves injury more than the mouse.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    dang, he survived, does he still qualify for the Darwin Awards?
    Last edited by DarthInsinuate; 01-14-2005 at 12:54 AM.
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

4. Lounge   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I'd nominate him. I think a fatality would seal the deal as to him winning the thing, tho'.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. Lounge   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I don't understand how humans can touch the wires and get zapped but birds land on them and are fine.
    or is it because if a human touches them they're usually touching a cherry picker\tree\poll\whatever? i guess that makes sense.

why aren't the wires all sleeved in rubber though?

6. Lounge   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yeah, the human would be fine if he tightroped across an electrified wire but once you're touching the metal bits on the end, you're acting as a conductor for the current to be grounded. I suspect it would be the same for a bird too.

I suppose they aren't all vulcanised because it costs a lot and there aren't that many spazmoids that climb up there

7. Lounge   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Yeah, the human would be fine if he tightroped across an electrified wire but once you're touching the metal bits on the end, you're acting as a conductor for the current to be grounded. I suspect it would be the same for a bird too.

I suppose they aren't all vulcanised because it costs a lot and there aren't that many spazmoids that climb up there
    Alright, Thanks.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    He looks like a big lightbulb

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

Not only cost but weight also.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    omg. if you look closely on the second pic theres a moron shaped puff of smoke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast