Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This laptop needs a LOT of work...

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    OK, the laptop belongs to one of my employees and she said it was "running slow and acting funny". Boy did those turn out to be the understatments of the year. I've been going head-to-head with this thing for about two hours now and I'm only beginning to make some headway. Here are some of the problems I'm having if anyone wants to render aid:

HP Pavilion xt412
    Windows XP Home
    Intel~1594 Mhz
    256 MB RAM

As soon as I boot the thing up I begin to see all the familiar signs of spyware; Musicmatch, Weatherbug, etc. After I get looking around though, I see that there isn't a single spyware removal tool anywhere on the whole machine, NOTHING. So I go to my pc and put Ad-Aware SE and HiJackThis! on a disc and run it in the laptop. Ad-Aware SE comes up with 1122 "objects" (and that's w/o updating the objects, which are 129 days old) and HiJackThis! gives me a whole list of ugly stuff. I can't post the log though b/c it's on the laptop.

I look around and see a Norton Anti-Virus icon so I try that but an error pops up that states:

Norton Integrator could not initialize the current frame class. Please make sure that you did not directly run the integrator.
    I've cleaned up a ALOT of the junk but I need to get the internet working so I can post the HiJackThis! log at their forum or here (or both) and begin digging some of this stuff out of the registry.

I have a cable connection that I use for my pc and if I'm correct, I should be able to plug the ethernet cable into the laptop and have a connection, easy as that. Well I don't, have a connection that is. If I double-click the IE icon, it opens but there is nothing in the URL spot and it says there is no page to display. If I attempt to enter a valid URL such as Google, I get 'The page cannot be displayed' and the URL changes to "res://ibuwf.dll/http_404.htm".

I look at msconfig > startup to poke around a little more and see 71, yes 71 items are listed. Of these, about 55-60 are running. I'm going to go threw and look them all up tommorow I guess.

But I guess the first thing I need to figure out is how to get the internet working on the laptop. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Skizo; 01-19-2005 at 01:33 PM.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    it's full of spyware, viruses, likely trojans too.

Just backup the important stuff (and scan it with your computer to make sure no viruses come along) then format and reinstall windows.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I was afraid I'd have to reinstall.

How do I do it with my pc though??

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

You don't...

just put the XP cd into the laptop's cd rom and away you go.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    UcanRock2's Avatar Phantom Gander
    Most laptops have a phone jack for like dial-up connections.

See if you can use a wireless router or a smart card to access the internet from your cable connection.
    Last edited by UcanRock2; 01-19-2005 at 01:25 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Ohhh...Scan the stuff I backup on my pc.

I've never had to do a reinstall since I don't screw my stuff up. Put the XP disc in and it will give me the option of formatting and reinstalling? Or I have to format and then insert disc to reload XP?

I'm asking instead of doing b/c this isn't my laptop so I obviously don't have the discs. I'll have to get them from her.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanRock2
    Most laptops have a phone jack for like dial-up connections.

See if you can use a wireless router or a smart card to access the internet from your cable connection.
    Don't have ANY of that stuff

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Ohhh...Scan the stuff I backup on my pc.

I've never had to do a reinstall since I don't screw my stuff up. Put the XP disc in and it will give me the option of formatting and reinstalling? Or I have to format and then insert disc to reload XP?

I'm asking instead of doing b/c this isn't my laptop so I obviously don't have the discs. I'll have to get them from her.
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. Check in the BIOS for boot order and make sure the CD is before the HDD. Boot with the CD in and press a key when it prompts for CD boot. There is partitioning and formatting tools right before the installation starts.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Sounds simple except this part. Not sure the terminology.

for boot order and make sure the CD is before the HDD.
    What do you mean make sure it's before the HDD?

Sorry fellas but like I said, it's my first try

yo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    In the BIOS there is a setting for boot up sequence. If the hard disk is before the CD drive then the computer will just start normally and skip checking for the CD. That is why the CD drive needs to be set to before the HDD.

I hope that is more clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast