Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a router?

Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I'm looking for a wireless/ADSL Modem router that's easy to set up, any recommendations? I’d rather go with one that’s stable instead of one that’s got all the latest bells and whistles

(It’s only gonna be used for two winXP machines)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I've been looking for the same and got it narrowed down to the BT Voyager 2100 and the Linksys WAG54G

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I was talking to some guys at college who both have Linksys and they were saying that they crash far too often? Might not have been the same make as the above though

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I actually own the Linksys WAG54G and can safely say it's the most reliable adsl modem / router I've ever used. I also own a Linksys BEFSR41 Router which is extremely reliable.

If you need a reliable router, or modem for that matter, nothing beats Linksys.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I’ve been misinformed, they said to go with a D-Link? Are they no good then?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder
    I’ve been misinformed, they said to go with a D-Link? Are they no good then?
    Please. Whatever you do. Don't buy D-Link, even the small box-like one you've probably seen. They have a tendancy to overheat and shut down all connections forcing you to do a reboot.

Also, Netgear are not to be trusted either. I purchased the DG632 around Sep '04 and it was plagued by problems, not least allowing no more than 15 simultaneous connections. In turn, this effectively meant no P2P.

It was after I sold the Netgear DG632 that I turned to the one manufacturer I could trust. Linksys. I'd already bought the router and knew the quality to expect. I have not been let down once with this beauty.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks for the info, Linksys it is then If I were to buy this - Are there any additional things that are needed? What sort of card would I need in the PC that it’ll be used to share with?

(Don’t know much about networking )

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks for the info, Linksys it is then If I were to buy this - Are there any additional things that are needed? What sort of card would I need in the PC that it’ll be used to share with?

(Don’t know much about networking )

Hey that's a pretty good price! I paid around £73 inc. P&P for mine at Micro Direct when they happened to have it on offer.

Do run a search on www.kelkoo.co.uk and www.pricerunner.co.uk for 'WAG54G' to see if there is anywhere cheaper though.

Now depending on how far apart your PC's are, you have two options.

1. If the distance is not very much, you can use a CAT-5 cable (look in Maplin's - they're cheap as fcuk - around £4 for 3m). Simply hook up both PC's to 2 of 4 ports on the back of the WAG54G and you're set.

2. Purchase a 'WMP54G' which is the receiver for the 2nd PC. No wires. No mess. However, it's around £35, unless of course you can find somewhere that sells the WAG54G & WMP54G as a bundle, but it'll be a little bit more expensive.

As with the WMP54G, run a search on Kelkoo & Price Runner for lowest prices

Edit: WAP54G changed to WMP54G. I got confused
    Last edited by Samurai; 01-19-2005 at 03:41 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks Samurai, it’ll have to be wireless, the other machines on the other side of the house.

Is this That bundle? And that’s all that’s needed?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks Samurai, it’ll have to be wireless, the other machines on the other side of the house.

Is this That bundle? And that’s all that’s needed?
    Well, apparently it's the same modem (WAG54G) but it seems to have 2 antennae's but judging by the reviews it's near enough the same thing. The adapter is also different from what I suggested (WMP54G) but it's obviously there to compliment the modem so that's cool.

Also the price seems to be very decent so yes I'd say that if you definately had to go wireless I'd purchase that pack.

Oh, one more thing... you'll need to download the latest drivers when you receive the items as there's a small problem. I'd wait until you receive them though so you know exactly what model you get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast