Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condoleeza Rice

sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    I am not too sure about her...

I would be interested in how our US members feel about their new Secretary of State.

Personally, I felt that Colin Powell at least had the bigger picture in view even if he wasn't able to influence policy too much.

I look at Dr Rice and my concern is that there seems to be nothing behind the eyes....not a lack of intelligence, clearly...more a lack of empathy and a driven loyalty to Bush.

What do people think?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    She does have an Oil Tanker named after her...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    She is an intelligent woman with a good political grasp but she does not have the sound or the bearing of a "people person". She is too prickly. If you are going to be the key interface with the rest of the world I would have said that such attributes are essential.

Powell was well liked and respected - he will be a hard act to follow.

My fear is that her abrasiveness will only make the President more islolated from the rest of the world.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I liked Colin Powell. I thought he was always interested in America's interests. I don't think Condoleeza Rice is as much. Only time will tell I guess

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    I had high hopes for Colin Powell..he turned out to be a sell-out to some degree. Condi is a horror. Let us not forget her warnings of mushroom clouds, and such. She is just one of the administration's minions.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    I had high hopes for Colin Powell..he turned out to be a sell-out to some degree. Condi is a horror. Let us not forget her warnings of mushroom clouds, and such. She is just one of the administration's minions.
    Sell out or pushed out?

I think there is a good man there - just did not have an administration in which to flourish (in particular, Rumsfeld ... he of the cloven hoof
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    I am not too sure about her...

I would be interested in how our US members feel about their new Secretary of State.

Personally, I felt that Colin Powell at least had the bigger picture in view even if he wasn't able to influence policy too much.

I look at Dr Rice and my concern is that there seems to be nothing behind the eyes....not a lack of intelligence, clearly...more a lack of empathy and a driven loyalty to Bush.

What do people think?

Sara, I have been observing Ms. Rice. I can't say at this point how I feel about her yet.

Driven loyalty to Bush? Yes. Will that loyalty continue? Time will tell.

I see what you describe as a possible lack of empathy behind her eyes. Sometimes that much of a guarded stance hides great empathy. Could we be so fortunate? Probably not.

A small part of me roots for her because she is a woman. But I continue to watch and listen with eyes and ears open.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    She is an intelligent woman with a good political grasp but she does not have the sound or the bearing of a "people person". She is too prickly. If you are going to be the key interface with the rest of the world I would have said that such attributes are essential.

Powell was well liked and respected - he will be a hard act to follow.

My fear is that her abrasiveness will only make the President more islolated from the rest of the world.
    You will all be quite surprised, and pleasantly so, I think.

This "abrasiveness" or "prickliness" you perceive is, I am sure, a result of the interplay between Dr. Rice and such as Senator Boxer during her confirmation hearings and the various goings-on during the 9/11 Commission's investigative frothings.

I would not regard an in-kind reaction of the sort witnessed in the course of those proceedings as indicative of anything other than a carefully considered sense-of-self, as well as a righteous offense at bullying tactics on the part of certain inquisitors.

I am amused (but not surprised) by efforts to portray her as an Aunt Jemima who is merely a "minion" of George Bush.

Those who attempt to summon that particular image would never confess to the racist attitudes suggested thereby, but there you have it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Has someone portrayed her as an Aunt Jemimah i this thread? I most go back and reread this. I don't like Condi and I didn't think there was anything wrong with the 911 commissions questions. Boxer's questions, comments, etc., as well as other confirmation hearing participant's questions were appropriate at the least...she had a lot to answer for.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I am amused (but not surprised) by efforts to portray her as an Aunt Jemima who is merely a "minion" of George Bush.

Those who attempt to summon that particular image would never confess to the racist attitudes suggested thereby, but there you have it.
    Where'd you pull that from?

I don't even think there has been a reference to her race..........until now.

It seems Aunt Jemima was brought up by you, how do you say it...methinks.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast