Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adware & Spyware - Cure for dummies

muchspl2
    1.) Download the following freeware (free) programs.

Spybot-S&D - Search & Destroy
    LavaSoft Ad-aware
    CWShredder

These will help you clean out any possible spyware or adware that could be causing your browser / windows problems.

2.) Next download these as well

SpywareBlaster -- by Java Cool Software
    SpywareGuard -- by Java Cool Software

These programs do something that windows should. They prevent many spyware & adware programs, from even being installed or reinstalled.

3.) Update & run all the above
    4.) If the first three programs found spyware / adware, reboot after cleaning, then rescan
    5.) Once everything has been done & cleaned, reboot. Even if you've done so already.

6.) If you're not using some kind of anti-virus scan, you really should & you'd be glad to know, there are some free onces out there.

Avast 4Home
    AVG
    BitDefender
    Anti Vir
    EZ Trust

These are all freeware (free), so they should protect you now. Should you be willing to pay for one, I'd recommend; Kaspersky Anti-Virus

You should now update & fully scan for any possible viruses. Should you find any, rescan once more to be sure it was cleaned.

From this point, had it been your normal adware, spyware, or virus; your copy of explorer should be fixed & your computer cleaned.
    However, should you still be having problems there are still some more tips to try.

1.) HiJackThis -- This program will show you a full detail of all plug-in or active settings that could have been added into your copy of explorer or within your computer. Be VERY careful of removing anything you find here. Your best bet, is to save the log & have someone else view it a few times.

2.) Uninstall any 3rd party programs that may have added to explorer or else where in your computer. Be sure to avoid the 3rd party programs if uninstalling it, cures your problem.
    3.) Double check to see what maybe loading with windows: Start > Run > msconfig (only un-check something here, if you're 100% sure).

If all the above has failed, it maybe time to backup all your data & do a system restore, to a point before you had this problem.

special thanks to firefox 2.0, you should use something other than IE and you want have such a problem IMO
    Last edited by muchspl2; 01-20-2005 at 06:57 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    nice guide

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Hello!

Yes nice guide indeed!

I would like to complement it with the following.

In addition to those spyware scanners I would also want to recommend SpySweeper(not freeware) from Webroot software http://www.webroot.com you know where to find a cracked one dont ya

This scanner is better then SpyBot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware Personal SE at finding spyware and spyware traces.

Also I definetly recommend to upgrade to Service Pack 2 and (I prefer to use the free upgrade CD rather then using the downloads) if you are running Windows XP it greatly increases security. It has some major improvements for IE and Outlook Express and some other things. It has a Pop up blocker which stops most pop ups, pop ups than often contain malicious code and scripts. It does not allow websites to automatcally run Active X scripts but require you to manually activate them which is a good thing. It does not allow Piggy back downloads from websites meaning software or executables secretly downloading in the background without your knowledge which reduces the risk of getting infected by trojans and viruses. It has an imporved and decent built in firewall that is enabled by default, Outlook has been improved and does not allow images to appear in HTML messages automatically, images that gets downloaded from some server and verifies your e-mail address so that you gets added to some spamlists this should reduce the amount of spam mail you get!. If you are using WLAN SP2 also has enhanced encryption called WPA which is good!!.

Also ofcourse make sure to keep your Windows copy updated with the latest security and bug fixes from Microsoft Update!.

Combine my advice with muchspl2 and your machine will be Fort Knox

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren
    Hello!

Yes nice guide indeed!

I would like to complement it with the following.

In addition to those spyware scanners I would also want to recommend SpySweeper(not freeware) from Webroot software http://www.webroot.com you know where to find a cracked one dont ya

This scanner is better then SpyBot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware Personal SE at finding spyware and spyware traces.

Also I definetly recommend to upgrade to Service Pack 2 and (I prefer to use the free upgrade CD rather then using the downloads) if you are running Windows XP it greatly increases security. It has some major improvements for IE and Outlook Express and some other things. It has a Pop up blocker which stops most pop ups, pop ups than often contain malicious code and scripts. It does not allow websites to automatcally run Active X scripts but require you to manually activate them which is a good thing. It does not allow Piggy back downloads from websites meaning software or executables secretly downloading in the background without your knowledge which reduces the risk of getting infected by trojans and viruses. It has an imporved and decent built in firewall that is enabled by default, Outlook has been improved and does not allow images to appear in HTML messages automatically, images that gets downloaded from some server and verifies your e-mail address so that you gets added to some spamlists this should reduce the amount of spam mail you get!. If you are using WLAN SP2 also has enhanced encryption called WPA which is good!!.

Also ofcourse make sure to keep your Windows copy updated with the latest security and bug fixes from Microsoft Update!.

Combine my advice with muchspl2 and your machine will be Fort Knox
    1. SpySweeper is not better than Ad-Aware or SpyBot. They all act differently, but none are more powerful than another. Combined, they are awesome.

2. The pop-up blocker from SP2 is shit. It failed a test I decided to run on it, and was left to close thousands of pop-ups. There's nothing wrong with the Google Toolbar which is also free.

3. I don't care if Outlook gets updated for the next 50 years. Nothing is better than Thunderbird as an email client. Also Free.

Oh, and Outlook always had the option to turn off the previews, at least in the last 3 years. It's just that noobs didn't know where to look.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    nice one Muchospl2

maybe add 2 free firewalls?

sticky?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    Sygate easily

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    muchspl2
    Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    nice one Muchospl2

sticky?
    thats just the basics of cleaning up.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Does noone else think that S&D sux ass?? I can run S&D and it will show NOTHING. Then run Ad-Aware SE and it will find like 20 things.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Does noone else think that S&D sux ass?? I can run S&D and it will show NOTHING. Then run Ad-Aware SE and it will find like 20 things.

I think they both suck ! Thats why I use Giant . But Samurai is right most recomend atleast two running . Good Pin by the way . I now often scan for spyware before I check for viruses on friends computers .
    Last edited by peat moss; 01-22-2005 at 01:37 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    i agree, and adaware has alot more update defintions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast