Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpongeBob Attacked!!!

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    US right attacks SpongeBob video

US conservative groups are up in arms over a music video featuring children's TV heroes such as the cheerful cartoon character SpongeBob Squarepants.

Spongebob is popular among adult gay men

Focus on the Family and other groups say the video - a remake of the Sister Sledge hit, We Are Family - is a vehicle for pro-gay propaganda.

The video's makers plan to mail it to US schools in the spring to promote tolerance and diversity.

They say the attack is based on a misunderstanding.

The video also features children's favourites like Bob the Builder, along with characters from Sesame Street and The Muppet Show.

But James Dobson, founder of right-wing Christian group Focus on the Family, singled out SpongeBob at a black-tie dinner in Washington in the run-up to President Bush's inauguration, the New York Times said.

SpongeBob - who appears on the children's cable channel Nickelodeon - is seen as an icon for adult gay men in the US, apparently because he regularly holds hands with his sidekick Patrick.

His creators deny that he is gay, but he is not the first such character to cause controversy.

In 1999 conservatives claimed handbag-carrying Teletubby Tinky Winky, an import from the UK, was a bad role-model.

'Easy lesson'

Nile Rodgers, who wrote the song and is founder of the We Are Family Foundation (WAFF) which released the new video, says it is intended to help teach children the values of co-operation and unity.

"We believe that this is the essential first step to loving thy neighbour," he said. "And the fun and exciting format makes it a lesson that's easy for children to learn."

But conservatives say it sees the video as a cunning attempt to promote homosexuality.

They point to the fact that the WAFF is linked to a pledge being promoted by some liberal groups which includes a recognition of tolerance of sexual identity.

"We see the video as an insidious means by which the organisation is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," Paul Batura, a spokesman for Focus on the Family, told the New York Times.

Mr Rodgers said the groups may have confused his foundation with an unrelated organisation with a similar name that supports gay youth.

WAFF spokesman Mark Barondeso told the newspaper that anyone who thought the video promoted homosexuality "needs to visit their doctor and get their medication increased".
    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4190699.stm

Yet another nail in the coffin of common sense...
    Last edited by RealitY; 01-21-2005 at 05:11 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Why the fuck does it keep saying conservatives this..., and conservatives that...? Intelligent conservatives don't waste their time with this nonsense.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    I wonder if the committee meeting went something like this...

Chairperson: Okay, this meeting will come to order.
    We need to get behind something and make our opinions known to the world. Any suggestions?

1st member: How about something like the elimination of third word debt or Tsunami disaster relief or Human rights issues?

2nd member: Nah, screw that... too much hard work and far too worthwhile... let's just do a smear job on a cartoon character instead.

All: YEAH, GREAT IDEA!!

Chairman: Then it's agreed. Meeting adjourned.

Reality has a Spongebob av... he's gonna be pissed.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    But conservatives say it sees the video as a cunning attempt to promote homosexuality
    This bit makes me laugh. How the hell do you 'promote' homosexuality, how is it possible to get someone to abruptly think "Yeah! being gay is a good idea, I suddenly want to have sex with men!".

It just doesn't happen.

If the word promote has to be used then I would prefer to think of promoting homosexuality as promoting acceptance of it. A positive thing, rather than the 'conservatives' in the example who use it in a detrimental sense.

===

Quote Originally Posted by uNz[i]
    Reality has a Spongebob av... he's gonna be pissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by People in the know
    Spongebob is popular among adult gay men
    I thought he had a Spongebob av to let his fellow slskrs know he's up for it
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Why the fuck does it keep saying conservatives this..., and conservatives that...? Intelligent conservatives don't waste their time with this nonsense.

Do you see any similarity with your statement concerns and the " the problem with liberals" this and "liberal-logic" that theme that keeps popping up ?

On the subject matter I have to say that I find the whole thing a waste of time, however am not suprised at the level of silly paranoyer.
    Last edited by vidcc; 01-20-2005 at 03:44 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Well now Im FKIN pissed ffs Ive never read anything so fkin stupid although it is rather funny as fk also. I always saw SpongeBob and Patrick as kids as would seem clear in the one where they eat tons of ice cream and freak out although found it strange SponeBob had at a job though...

BTW: ANYONE MALE TOUCHES MY ASS AND ILL SHOVE SOME FKIN SPONGE AT YOU.
    (wtf does that mean ffs)
    Last edited by RealitY; 01-20-2005 at 06:34 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY
    BTW: ANYONE MALE TOUCHES MY ASS AND ILL SHOVE SOME FKIN SPONGE AT YOU.
    The "middle age" physical is going to be an interesting situation then

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    This is a thing that intrigues me. What would the point be of trying to 'promote' homosexuality? You are either a homosexual or you are not. It is not like religion where you brainwash the young and naive and it is implanted in most of their minds for evermore.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Well said, Boab
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I just wanted to visit and read the haunted thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast