Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I just put together my first PC and...

... it wouldn't start. Yes, yes, all enjoy a good chuckle for a moment and then maybe some of you can point me in the right direction.

So I bought a case with a 400 power supply some motherboard by the name of pt800ce-a, P4 processor, and I am stealing all the other components from my old pc.

I installed the board, cpu, fan, pluged everything in to the best of my ability, and went to turn it on and nothing. Not a whir or a spin or any thing, it was as if the case was not plugged in but yet it was.

I think one of my problems may be that the power switch button from the front of the PC may not be connected properly.

Is there any highrez pictures of what cables from the from of your case and how they get plugged in to those little pins available anywhere?

If I didn't change one jumper on my mother board would that affect anything?

What are the most common reasons for a freshly built pc not to power up?

Is there a way to check to see if the case is even transfering power? Shouldn't the fan on the powersupply come on automaticly regardless if your pc is functional or not?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    check the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard. On some of the systems that i have built the jumper has been set to clear instead of normal
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by healimonster
    I think one of my problems may be that the power switch button from the front of the PC may not be connected properly.

Is there any highrez pictures of what cables from the from of your case and how they get plugged in to those little pins available anywhere?

If I didn't change one jumper on my mother board would that affect anything?

What are the most common reasons for a freshly built pc not to power up?

Is there a way to check to see if the case is even transfering power? Shouldn't the fan on the powersupply come on automaticly regardless if your pc is functional or not?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Go HERE to download the manual. See page 11 for front panel connections.

The pins are laid out like this:
    2 4 6 8 x
    1 3 5 7 9
    The x indicates there is no pin. Pin 9 is not used for anything.
    The power switch should be connected between pins 6 & 8.
    If this is where you have connected your switch (be sure you haven't inadvertantly connected the power LED there!) then you can check whether the switch is actually working by disconnecting it and CAREFULLY touching pins 6 & 8 together with a screwdriver or similar metal object. If the fans come on & the machine boots you need to check/replace the switch but if nothing happens the problem lies elsewhere.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Another small, sometimes overlooked item: Turn on the power switch on the back of the power supply.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    yes, the fans and powersupply fan should be working even if the pc is not functional.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    "yes, the fans and powersupply fan should be working even if the pc is not functional."

Well thats not good news because nothing spun or did anything.

However pin lay out diagram was quite helpfull. I never would have tried those two pins for the powerswitch in 100 attemps.
    I try these suggestions tonight.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    The power supply will not turn on without a signal from the motherboard.

Check here to test power supply without the motherboard. http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Great, that pin thing did it.

Well it got me past my first problem.

So the computer powers up and detects the CPU, the memory, the hard drives and the CR-rom drive, but it stops on a "bios like" screen stating "
    ----------
    Warning! CPU has been changed or CPU Ratio changed fail.
    Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit!
    -----------

what is that message usually in reference to?

I can hit f1 to continue and it will enssentialy end up on the same very screen after it trys to boot up,

Or I can hit Del and go into the bios and make changes (non of which I know what I should be done)

Any suggestions?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Yes. Hit [Del] and go into the BIOS and set the CPU speed to the speed of your CPU. Save changes and reboot.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Update I went into the bios, and looked around, made no changes and saved and exited.

It offered me to launch windows normaly, or in a few different safe modes. I have done both and both produce similar results. It loads something for a few seconds, and flashes a bluescreen for 1 frame, and then reboots and does the whole thing over again.

Suggestions
    Last edited by healimonster; 01-21-2005 at 04:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast