Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sikh School To Be Built In Slough, England.

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Why shouldn't the government help fund the school? The sikh community still has to raise 10% which I think is fair enough. As long as they teach the national curriculm I see it being no different than publicly funded catholic schools.

And there's 10,000 sikhs in Slough alone, I imagine some of them pay taxes...

Leave the moaning to the Sun readers. :glare:
    Last edited by Withcheese; 01-21-2005 at 07:14 AM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    But why are general tax dollars going to fund a Sikh school? Private interest schools, whether they be religious or exclusive, should be privately funded.

To publicly fund a private interest institute like a country adapting to it's immigrants, not vice versa.

If the Sikhs wish to create a "special school", they may freely use their own money to do so.
    Well we don't do things like that in England, thankfully.

l live in Windsor, which is next to Slough; the whole area is rapidly expanding and more than this one school is needed. These children need an education wherever they go to school. If they went to any local school the government would still have to pay. This new school is only to be 80% Sikh anyway, and they are paying 10% of the costs. It is also a primary school, when they leave they will be going to local high schools. Catholic schools in England get special grants, why shouldn't Sikhs?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by UKResident
    Well we don't do things like that in England, thankfully.

l live in Windsor, which is next to Slough; the whole area is rapidly expanding and more than this one school is needed. These children need an education wherever they go to school. If they went to any local school the government would still have to pay. This new school is only to be 80% Sikh anyway, and they are paying 10% of the costs. It is also a primary school, when they leave they will be going to local high schools. Catholic schools in England get special grants, why shouldn't Sikhs?
    Well said. Though I was under the impression that Slough had enough schools, at least that was the argument of some people in authority against the idea of the sikh school.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i think catholic schools have to be 90% catholic

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    Well said. Though I was under the impression that Slough had enough schools, at least that was the argument of some people in authority against the idea of the sikh school.
    l'm talking about the whole area, not just Slough. As you know, London doesnt stop now until it gets past Reading, everywhere it's possible to build a house out this way they are building them.

You could say there were enough schools in Slough if you believe 35 pupils per class is OK. As for the arguments, l think the people who were against the school would have said anything.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    That is my point, we do have different cultures (US and UK). Private interest groups should be privately funded in my eyes. Religion and public funded schools should be separate.

Do we need a Luthern school, a Muslim school, a Catholic school, ad infintum.

Or should we just provide a place for all children to go an learn and get to know people from different backrounds. Seems ridiculous to me to divide the little boys and girls up into separate schools.

I simply am full stop opposed to any religion being granted my money to build their schools. I cannot envision volunteering my money to pay for brainwashing and encouraging something that promotes the division of a community, rather than uniting it.

I remember the Jewish kids would go to a private Hebrew school on the weekends or at night. That is the way it should be.

Small children are very plastic in their mindsets. If you grow up with a variety of people, you just see them as friends and classmates. To attempt to integrate them later is a much tricker deal.

BTW, sign me up for that publically funded "Creationism, new Earth" school.
    Last edited by hobbes; 01-21-2005 at 03:10 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    we had a few RE lessons about other religions and awareness, then i came out atheist.

as long as they aren't saying all other religions are wrong and promoting racism. what's the problem?

does the average school cost less than £6mil?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Im very near to slough

Anyway i don't really mind, when the government spends £200 million (or is it more) on the millenium dome i think the sikhs deserve some money. Plus what are the odds that the sikh tax payers in the UK give more than £6mil?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    it would be what busyman?
    I assumed he was pointing out that humans will never get along with each other - you're going to have to go alongway back in time to find a time when the human world was at peace if it has ever been.

As for the school, I don't see harm in it. There are already Christian schools so fairness says other faiths should be able to set up their own schools if they wish. Political correctness will force the Sikh school to accept various pupils, as it does for the existing religious schools in the UK.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Hobbes

i agree with your opinion about the state funding religious teachings, however every school, in the Uk at least, has to teach the basic curriculum and the state usually pays for that in schools where parents are not charged. The sikh comunity in this case has to contribute a certain amount financially for the building and i would imagine would have to raise money for other things once the school opens. This area has a large amount of sikhs and they may not necessarily be immigrants as the original poster of the topic on the other forum seems to be suggesting. This community pay their taxes like everyone else so a "grant" from the state to build and run the "national education standard" side is well within the bounds of even the American constitution (IMO) ...the rest is up to the school to raise funds.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast