Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royals

This is about the Uk royals only so bare with my first topic here

I think that the royal family is milking us tax payers out of money, i mean what do they do? Last time i heard nothing. The royals use to do things in the dark ages (like before teh interweb) by controlling the country, trying to kill teh scots and beheading their wives. Now they have no purpose (thats to the PM and parliment). The queen does nothing but dosses about.

Infact when her mother (teh queen mumage) died she owe'd the state and tax payers hundreds of millions of pounds, becuase she gave all her land away and didnt pay her debts and such off untill she dieed, at which time becuase she was dead she never did. Meaning bare royals got free estates and such, queen mum didnt pay a penny, taz payers + state got owned.

What does Prince harry do thats so important we can send him round the world with his find looking lady friend so he can party away, nothing i say.

Once, they use to do things and kinda earner there money now they don't do shit. Sure they go to other countries and say hi to peeps but is that worth all the money we give them.

Anyway thats what i think, im prob gonna be proved wrong in a few mins so make me look like teh cawkage.

Your views?

Edit: Was only one smilie in this post so
    Last edited by Peerzy; 01-21-2005 at 05:38 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Off with his head, the perfect hangover cure.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    We make a profit on them, so i cant see how they're milking us

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    They started making a "Profit" in 2001..

Annual revenue from the Crown Estate has increased by £42m in real terms since 1991-92, to £133m last year.

The Queen surrenders this money to the Exchequer, in return for Parliament agreeing to fund the Civil List and other head of state expenditure.

Only the Queen, Queen Mother and Duke of Edinburgh are paid directly from the Civil List. Payments to other Royal Family members are reimbursed by the Queen from her personal funds.

The Keeper of the Privy Purse, Sir Michael Peat, said the monarchy effectively costs taxpayers nothing, and is even in credit.

Source

That excludes the money they pay in Taxes (Income, Investments and Business') in their personal capacities...which is quite substantial on its own.

It also excludes the invisible benefits from Tourism and selling British Industry abroad, something they're pretty good at by all accounts... despite Phillip

Most of the money in the Civil List goes to pay Staff Wages, upkeep of the Palaces and Travel... these things would still need to be paid for with a President.

....Except there wouldnt be any idiots willing to work for peanuts just to "Serve" a President, which they do to be a "Royal" servant.

So that paybill would go through the roof...

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    source

Under the Civil List Acts, The Duke of Edinburgh receives an annual parliamentary allowance to enable him to carry out public duties. Since 1993, The Queen has repaid to the Treasury the annual parliamentary allowances received by other members of the Royal Family.

In 2000 the annual amounts payable to members of the Royal Family (which are set every ten years) were reset at their 1990 levels for the next ten years, until December 2010. Apart from an increase of £45,000 on the occasion of The Earl of Wessex's marriage, these amounts remain as follows:

Parliamentary annuity (not repaid by The Queen)
    HRH The Duke of Edinburgh £359,000

Parliamentary annuities (repaid by The Queen)
    HRH The Duke of York £249,000
    HRH The Earl of Wessex £141,000
    HRH The Princess Royal £228,000
    TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, TRH The Duke
    and Duchess of Kent and HRH Princess Alexandra
    *£636,000

* Of the £636,000, £175,000 is provided by The Queen to The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, £236,000 to The Duke and Duchess of Kent and £225,000 to Princess Alexandra.

As with the Civil List itself, most of these sums are spent on staff who support public engagements and correspondence.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    2 points.

1, We already own the Crown Estate so any profit belongs to us already.

2, Even if losing them was a net cash loss I would be willing to do that in order to get rid of the Monarch / Subject mindset.
    Point one - no we don't.

Point two, and the real point - you just don't like them do you? You have no real gripe, so you ignore the facts.

The Royal Family (God Bless them all) are one of the top money earners for this country. Tourism alone is worth billions. Every time the Queen (God Bless her) travels overseas a contingent from the department of trade and industry travels with her. The amount of business she generates is huge.

Of course, she isn't head of the Catholic Church, and Scottish Catholics have a problem with that don't they? Never mind that the Queen (God Bless her) is half Scottish.

l'd like to know what advantage a president would bring us, and how it would be cheaper. In my opinion it would cost us more, and we'd end up with less.

So come on JPaul, say ten 'Hail Mary's' and repeat after me ..

God save our gracious Queen,
    long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen!
    Send her victorious,
    happy and glorious,
    long to reign over us,
    God save the Queen!

Thy choicest gifts in store
    on her be pleased to pour,
    long may she reign:
    may she defend our laws,
    and ever give us cause
    to sing with heart and voice
    God save the Queen!

Nor on this land alone,
    but be God's mercies known
    from shore to shore:
    Lord, make the nations see
    that men should brothers be,
    and form one family
    the wide world o'er.

(God Bless her cotton socks)

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    We make a profit on them, so i cant see how they're milking us

How so? I don't think so.....

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I said we make a profit of them, meaning the UK...

I dont know about Canada or the other Commonwealth Realms.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

You really are an arse and the most obvious troll I have ever seen.
    God bless him.

Half Scottish? That eedjit Starkey threw his toys out the cot when it was suggested that the Queen Mumage was Scottish. But then he does like to stir it.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    The Crown Estate is a landed estate including over 120,000 hectares of agricultural land in England, Scotland and Wales, substantial blocks of urban property and almost half the foreshore, together with the seabed out to the 12 mile territorial limit. Its origins date back to the reign of King Edward the Confessor.

The Crown Estate is part of the hereditary possessions of the Sovereign "in right of the Crown", managed under the provisions of the Crown Estate Act 1961 by the Crown Estate Commissioners who have a duty to maintain and enhance the capital value of the Estate and the income obtained from it, with due regard to the requirements of good management.
    Just admit it JPaul, you don't like them because they aren't Scottish, as you think they should be. Well you had your chance and James 11 fucked it up, now it's the German's turn, and the Greeks of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast