Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flip Top and swap magic

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith
    Sorry that is something i did without thinking about it. When i installed it, i ddint need instructions, i just did it.
    so does that mean you didnt take that white thing out on step 8 and it still worked?

so do i follow those instructions?

2. Games   -   #12
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Quote Originally Posted by AzNsMaRtGuY333
    so does that mean you didnt take that white thing out on step 8 and it still worked?

so do i follow those instructions?

Yeah i did, you take the white thing out and put it in the flip top. Follow those instructions, there pretty accurate.

3. Games   -   #13
    cool...thanks

any more reliable sites to buy?

4. Games   -   #14
    consolesource.com

EDIT: oops, thats the one he got his from.
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 01-22-2005 at 04:43 PM.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

5. Games   -   #15
    what is the deal with this new merceneries game for the PS2...i read from forums that it dont work with the swap magic....

6. Games   -   #16
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Quote Originally Posted by AzNsMaRtGuY333
    what is the deal with this new merceneries game for the PS2...i read from forums that it dont work with the swap magic....
    Theres a patch for it to work, pm me if you need it.

7. Games   -   #17
    if i have an hd advance disc do i need the swap magic discs? to install games to the Hard Drive

What im saying is can i just buy the flip top and use it in conjunction with hd advance?
    (OSWINDOWS XP
    (PROCESSORAMD ATHLON XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNOW, ~1.7GHz
    (MEMORY 224 MB RAM
    (DIRECT X 9.0b
    (DISPLAY S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    (SOUND): VIA AC'97 AUDIO (WAVE)

8. Games   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastrap
    if i have an hd advance disc do i need the swap magic discs? to install games to the Hard Drive

What im saying is can i just buy the flip top and use it in conjunction with hd advance?
    if you don't have a mod chip, then you need swap magic (or another factory pressed boot disc, i guess) and a flip-lid to install games from burned discs through the ps2 dvd drive.

you can format a hard drive in your ps2 with hdloader/hdadvance, then take the drive out of the ps2 and put it in your pc, use hdldump (or hdldumb, the windows menu version) to copy games onto it, then stick it back in the ps2. if you do this, then you don't need swap magic.

copying retail discs with hdloader/hdadvance does not require a modchip or swap magic at all, of course, which was the original purpose of hdloader.

your mileage may vary, as far as which games you're able to run with hdloader/hdadvance. most will run, some won't run, some may not install correctly through the dvd drive but WILL install correctly from a pc, etc.

checking google, it looks like it's possible to boot an ftp program (like FAPLink?) from hdloader/hdadvance. in which case, you could use hdldump to get the ftp program onto the hd, use hdloader/hdadvance to boot the ftp program, and just send games from your pc to your ps2 over ethernet/LAN... so you wouldn't have to keep moving the hard drive back & forth between the ps2 and pc. so there's another non-chip, non-swap possibility for ya.

edit: and the flip-lid is only necessary for swapping. if you're not going to swap, save a few bucks and don't bother with the flip-lid.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 01-24-2005 at 02:25 PM.

9. Games   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    if you don't have a mod chip, then you need swap magic (or another factory pressed boot disc, i guess) and a flip-lid to install games from burned discs through the ps2 dvd drive.

you can format a hard drive in your ps2 with hdloader/hdadvance, then take the drive out of the ps2 and put it in your pc, use hdldump (or hdldumb, the windows menu version) to copy games onto it, then stick it back in the ps2. if you do this, then you don't need swap magic.

copying retail discs with hdloader/hdadvance does not require a modchip or swap magic at all, of course, which was the original purpose of hdloader.

your mileage may vary, as far as which games you're able to run with hdloader/hdadvance. most will run, some won't run, some may not install correctly through the dvd drive but WILL install correctly from a pc, etc.

checking google, it looks like it's possible to boot an ftp program (like FAPLink?) from hdloader/hdadvance. in which case, you could use hdldump to get the ftp program onto the hd, use hdloader/hdadvance to boot the ftp program, and just send games from your pc to your ps2 over ethernet/LAN... so you wouldn't have to keep moving the hard drive back & forth between the ps2 and pc. so there's another non-chip, non-swap possibility for ya.

edit: and the flip-lid is only necessary for swapping. if you're not going to swap, save a few bucks and don't bother with the flip-lid.
    (1)are you saying i can have two hard drives inside my pc at the same time?
    (2)Or that i can take my original pc hard drive out and then put my (hd advance ps2 hard drive) inside my pc? If its the second option will I have to redownload or install all of the software again like msn and windows xp etc. onto the new hard drive?

thanks in advance

note: i already have hd advance and the ps2 hard drive with games on it.
    (OSWINDOWS XP
    (PROCESSORAMD ATHLON XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNOW, ~1.7GHz
    (MEMORY 224 MB RAM
    (DIRECT X 9.0b
    (DISPLAY S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    (SOUND): VIA AC'97 AUDIO (WAVE)

10. Games   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastrap
    (1)are you saying i can have two hard drives inside my pc at the same time?
    yes. with the power turned off (of course) you connect a ps2 hard drive alongside your Windows hard drive, then turn the power on and Windows should boot up as normal. the ps2 hard drive uses a totally alien non-Windows file system, so most programs (including Windows Explorer) will not be aware that the drive is attached. a program like hdl_dumb will be able to see the ps2 hard drive and install bins/isos/cds/dvds onto it because the program is designed to detect and read the hdloader/hdadvance file system.

if you put the ps2 hard drive in your pc and Windows refuses to boot (don't panic if this happens, it's not a big deal, and the Windows drive should still be OK)... you may need to turn the power off, remove the ps2 hard drive, switch the jumper on the ps2 hard drive to "Slave" position so that the computer gives priority to the Windows drive, and try again. then when you put the drive back into the ps2, remember to switch the jumper back to its previous position.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast