Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock Out Guest

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    keep the guests visiting don't lock them out!

they gotta see what the forum has to offer before they sign up...why would they want to sign up if they have no clue what the place is about.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #22
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    keep the guests visiting don't lock them out!

they gotta see what the forum has to offer before they sign up...why would they want to sign up if they have no clue what the place is about.

I agree , bit annoying tho when late at nite, its 1 member 10 guests . Wonder how many are members not logging in ?

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #23
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    To all you guest out there reading this... Please join. It's quick, easy and free. We would love to hear what you have to say.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    Maybe make the thread titles viewable for guests but let them sign up to read the thread.
    1. Above as mentioned, make the thread titles viewable for guests but let them sign up to read the thread.
    2. Open Guest Fourum as it allows Guests to chat before decideding wheather they want to sign up and lets them get a feel for the board. As for what to allow Ide say everything should be allowed except the obvious in which case it should just be deleted. Just include a simple statement...

Guest Forum
    Post & Enjoy, All SPAM Will Be Deleted

Ide suggest regulars here just answer the question theyde like to and make a simple suggestion for them to join in at times.
    I think we should deffinattly avoid the "Just Register" crap as it would be better not to even post at all.
    Last edited by RealitY; 01-23-2005 at 09:10 AM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #25
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Guest are leechers. Share knowledge, experience, hope, warez & or laughter etc. Or get the F outta here!

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #26
    Site Owner
    If we lock out guests or even restrict their viewing of threads, the forum would eventually die. You have to understand that the reason that we have had such a high number of people, and new sign ups the last 3 weeks is because google had started to index thousands of our posts. Google spiders are guests, thus locking out guests or not allowing them to view all threads will also lock google out.

Brian

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #27
    Thus I guess you cant setup a googlebot member as I seem to remember we did with Invision.
    If thats the case then we should deffinatly leave it alone...

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #28
    Site Owner
    It might be possible, but then I'm assuming the archives will not get crawled (this is where most of the traffic is coming from). I'd rather not mess with a good thing.

Brian

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #29
    Site Owner
    No

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #30
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    We had this discussion before, the poll was pretty overwhelming in support of opening the forum up. No-one likes to have to register to a forum to find something out, it's far easier to press the 'back' button and read another forum.

If someone finds out what they want and leaves then so be it, if they stay then that's great. You don't black out the windows of a shop to entice customers inside do you?

If the people who object to their guides (or whatever) being shared freely then they should take them down and allow other competent members to replace their precious guides.

The guest forum is a good idea but I remember last time the mods/admin got lazy and just asked people to register for answers. :glare:
    Last edited by Withcheese; 01-23-2005 at 07:20 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast